_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Angles or curves?
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 06:20 AM UTC
I'm in the resource gathering phase of building a space cruiser from a computer game. Since it is a game, and the ship is made of polygons - there are no curves on it anywhere.

My question is: Is it easier to work with angles, or curves? (on any subject in general)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC
Angles...... Curves take alot more Finesse to work with.

This is coming from a Draftsman using Unigraphics to make "solid" models for the shop to use for manufacturing parts. Curves are not as forgiving....

IMHO

Ask any Bodyman..... Curves take alot more finesse when sanding too!!!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 07:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply, Matt. I'd kind of figured that was the case, but it's good to have confirmation.

This is the subject in question: Vagyr Heavy Destroyer I plan to print up some screenies over the weekend and draw up some measurements - then maybe use some thin strips of balsa wood to make a basic frame and go from there.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC
Joe,
when you're only trying your first steps in scratchbuilding, your best bet is to stay with angles. Your project looks a goot subject to give it a whirl. Once you got that puppy scratchbuilt and the result looks as good as you hoped it would, you'll get eager to try a curve. But I wouldn't try that in Scratchbuilding 101 class.
Homeworld fan, are you ? Hmmm... The farce is strong in this one !
Uncle Jan
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:03 AM UTC
off course, angles and curves both take their own mathematical approach. For a good curve, you definately need advanced trigonometry

However, since you said you were going to build a space ship, there is no need for curves to begin with.

And, remember, most 3d proggies allow you to redivide and redefine surfaces, smoothing them out.

Have fun
 _GOTOTOP