_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Cobblestone Road
MAJORBEEFALO
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
Im working on my first cobblestone road and Ive used double stick tape on the base and have stuck down the lentils to the tape. My question is what is the best technique and what kind of filler to use as grout and how to apply it without destroying the layout.
graeme
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 02:37 AM UTC
Hey there major well for filler on a coblestone road i would use wall filler the kind that you mix up. its thin and can be spread over the area easily plus it will sink right into the cracks. hope this helps got anymore questions just ask!

Graeme
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
Here's a link:
I believe Keith covers the construction very well.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/690

If you read the article, cobblestones, and the mortar are cover on page 3
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 04:13 AM UTC
I did not use double sided tape when I did my lentil road. I just glued them down with Elmer's. There must a a good reason to use double sided tape, though I don't know what it would be. I used the dry spackle or wall patch you can get at your favorite DIY store, mixed it up a bit on the dry side and grouted with that. Before it was dry I wiped the excess off with a rag and then a stiff (disposable) brush.

Worked out great.

Six months after the diorama was finished a critter in my basement, probably a mouse, ate half my stree, paint, spackle and all. And yes, that is true. I wouldn't make up anything that stupid.

Shaun
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
Me, I did it the old fashioned way. I found one of those resin sheets of cobblestone roads that the archetects use at my LHS and glued it down. Keith Magee himself was absoluely amazed at how good it lookeed when he saw it at a show.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There must a a good reason to use double sided tape, though I don't know what it would be.

:-) :-) Lentils, split peas, beans, what ever dried bean type you choose, with germinate and start to grow..... when exposed to too much moisture....... :-) :-)
Years ago, I used split peas, glued each one down ever so nicely, a soupy mixture of plaster, and it looked really good, until little pea spouts started....... :-) :-) rolling on floor.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 12:31 PM UTC
I tried this method as well, a few years ago. I used the double sided sticky tape, placed a few hundred lentils and then added my grout mixture. It was a little on the damp side and the skin on the lentils started peeling, and lifting up. Scary site, seeing two evenings of work decomposing in front of your eyes.
So learn by my mistake ... keep the grout on the dry side and remove the skin layer!
Reconrsa007
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 08:48 PM UTC
Why not just use plaster of paris. The cobblestone effect can be recreated by scraping the patern on the surface with a sharpened round tip, ie an old screwdriver...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 08:52 PM UTC
You can try using those super compressed styrofoam boards too... just use a ball-point pen and scribe the shape you want for your cobblestone groundwork, apply the putty+color and there you have cobblestone groundwork... beware (lots of time required... but cheap)
 _GOTOTOP