History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Fake guns at the Atlantic Wall
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC
Does anyone know if the Germans had fake guns on the wall? I know the Rangers stormed empty bunkers but I'm talking logs painted black or inflatables type fakes
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 02:56 PM UTC
I remember a picture of one of the large arty bunkers that had a log coming out of it. My grandpa had a "Quaker" cannon in his front yard, it was a old cannon carriage that a log was put on instead of a cannon barrel, at a distance it looks like the real thing.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 03:37 PM UTC
If I remember correctly, and I rarely do, I believe they had a few "guns" that our ships avoided that turned out to be telephone poles, but I could be thinking of the Pacific, which did happen, I know that much. I hope this helps!
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hi,

According to the book by George Forty - Fortress Europe: Hitler's Atlantic Wall - they had several dummy guns at some bunkers and emplacements.

I'm sure that at some of the sites about Atlantik Wall they should have some photos.

HTH

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 11:35 AM UTC
Ola Guys

I might be making wrong quotes here But I believe I have written somewhere that it was a huge problem to get enough guns to arm the Atlantik wall. A lot of the guns (if not most of them) were not even German made but were coming from Chechoslavakia< Hungary, Romania etc. etc. My guess is they put up the logs, Telephone poles etc. in it for Aerial Reconnaisance. Also some parts of the Atlantik wall were not yet really finished and were waiting for guns or last minute installments.

I should check my library as I cannot remember were I have read it. Possibly in Stephen Ambrose`s D-Day but it could well be another book.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
Seems I remember seeing some photo's of GI's standing around some "quaker guns" I know the Confederates did it at Petersburg in 1864 -65 as i have seen them. Think it also was done during the American Revolution at some of the forts. Fairly common practice.