_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Sydney meet.
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi all,
Was just curious who would be interested in an Aussie www.armorama.com meet?
I'm based in Newtown, Sydney (5 mins from Sydney CBD) and have a reasonably large house and BBQ to do it.
Was thinking a swap meet, BBQ, and a "bring a model;" idea where everyone brings a model to discuss and swap tips etc.
Working in IT I also have 4 P.C's permanently connected to the net so you can still post on our favourite site.
If interest is there I would like to make this a regular thing as my area is devoid of modelling clubs.
Maybe even a huge group build etc could come from this? Cheers,Andy.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 10:48 PM UTC
Great Idea bit hard at moment to get to syney but I hope to catch up in the near future -that would be grand
Ian
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:22 PM UTC
Andy

Great idea mate however it mazy be another 6 years before I get to Sydney again. It seems so far in my life that I get there on 10 yearly intervals and I was there 4 years ago.

I still say go for it though - some of the others here are a lot closer than Mackay - about 2200km.

Brian
Giddiup
Visit this Community
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi,
Sounds like a good idea! I'm a Sydney person and live at Summer Hill (four railway stations away from yourself.) I must say I am probably not the right person to invite to this meeting or question, because I have no idea about the way modeller's work now. As I have said before I am just re-inventing myself back into the hobby.
One cannot add any value to any conversation or query that may arise. But I am more than happy to listen.

Regards...
AndyD
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies...
Giddiup all would be welcome!
I'm kind of disapointed on the response though - I can't find any modelling clubs in inner Sydney so thought I would test the intrest of others in having regular informal "meets".
Oh well - what about a Aussie (but based in Sydney)Armorama get together?
We could do a BBQ and a "bring a model" type thing?
Anyone?
Baz
Visit this Community
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 12:09 PM UTC
There is a Sydney Historical Figure Painting group, started by Dave Hay of Firestorm Models, which meets every second Friday at St Ignatius' College, Riverview in Lane Cove Sydney. The third meeting is on this Friday and the group has been discussing the suggestions raised in this forum. Give Dave an e-mail for further info for Sydney-based modellers.

We are looking for new members and have so far held workshops on painting faces, dry brushing and sculpting. Members also bring along their models and work bench items for discussions. The group also has a substantial library which is offered on a loan basis. Finally, Dave kindly donates a Pegaso & Firestorm figure to be raffled at each meeting.

Hope this helps ya all out . Baz [ from Bondi ....]
AndyD
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 09:40 PM UTC
Thanks Baz,
That sounds very intresting!
Do you have any more details - time, street address etc?
Myself and a mate are most intrested in coming along.
Baz
Visit this Community
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 03:24 PM UTC
No worries Andy. In fact, Dave has said there were a few from the ACT keen. Anyway, it commences at 7.30pm and runs until about 10.30pm.

The place is: Saint Ignatius, College, Riverview. Found off Tambourine Bay Road, Lane Cove - you can't miss it !! [103 acres]. Come in the top gates, past the tennis courts and you will see some paper signs posted. Check your UBD - easy to find. Essentially it's easy from Newtown - go across ANZAC bridge, follow Victoria road over the Gladesville bridge and then turn lright into River Road. Follow up to York Corner [set of lights], turn right and follow it down to the harbour.

We will be located on the 2nd floor of the Main building - sandstone. You'll see the light on and hear the noise.

Hope 2 u you there Baz

auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 03:25 PM UTC
hi chaps,,just been reading, great that your figure group is kicking on..... I understand Sydney had a need for such a group....good luck to you all...

Phil ......
 _GOTOTOP