_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Flags???
USAF_Sarge
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hi all,

Anyone have a good method for creating Nazi flags draped or on mast? Any help would be great.

Thanks!
smithery
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:40 AM UTC
Anytime I've needed to make a flag, I simply print it out on an ink-jet printer, using the thinnest paper possible. Once it's printed and dry, I cover that area with liquid decal film (protects the inks), and let that dry.

You will need to print out two flags and glue them together, so you have the pattern on both sides.

I shape the flag into whatever shape I need, then dip the flag into Future. As the Future dries, it stiffens up the paper, keeping the flag in whatever shape I need.

HTH
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:54 AM UTC
Similar to Kevin above, scan or download the flag you want and save it as a jpg. Import it to you word program as you would clipart. resize it to what you need. Chose print from the file command and set the properties to the highest level and print on plain white paper. Wait a few minutes for the ink to dry and coat them with Microscale decal film. Use a straight edge and a #11 blade to cut it out. Apply a layer of thinned white glue to the back side and wait a minute or two as the paper absorbs the water and softens. Drape it where you want it.
For a two side falg, determine if both sides are the same or if one is reversed from being embroidered. Some flags will be painted and have two different patterns. Get the images in your photo program and revers one if necessary. Copy it and paste it at the pole end of the first image and proceed as above.
When you are ready to cut it, keep it in one piece then make a srp crease at the connected end before applying the thinned glue. After you've applied the glue, carefulluy fold it over and create the furls you need.
For a flag on a pole, you have to determine how it was attached to the pole. Some have a lajnyard, some are tied and some are slid over the pole. For the last, you'll have to insert your pole as you fold the two sides over.
Mosseman
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:29 AM UTC
Theres a entire feature about that. Thin Wood glue 50/50 with water then put 2 toilet papers folded into the shape you want then put it on the mdoel and brush with the glue. Paint after its dry
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
Totally diferrent approach here...using two part epoxy putty.
1. Mix putty together.
2. Using a rolling pin or something simular, roll it out on a piece of glass that has some baby powder on it.
(Don't skimp on the powder. It prevents sticking)
3. Roll until nice and thin.
4. Trim to size and shape.
5. If flying from a mast, let it set up a bit and then position where/ how you want it.
6. If draped over a vehicle or on the ground, apply a little powder to the surface to prevent sticking, and then drape.
7. Once dry, paint red. Using mask made from masking tape, paint white circle, then apply swatika decal. The baby powder can be brushed off or blown off with an airbrush.

Cool part about using the putty is you can make rips and tears, bullet holes, etc. Its little more involved, but the results are great. Give it try sometime. "Q"
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 02:29 AM UTC
All the above are great suggestions, but you could also use lead foil and an Archer dry transfer.
Mosseman
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
I made the one out of t.p. and did all that but I handpainted the entire thing.
USAF_Sarge
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 46 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:19 PM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks to all for the info. I'll be sure to try out each of the techniques this weekend. Only been a member for a week and learning so much, gotta love this place!!!
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Prince Edward Island, Canada
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 10:36 AM UTC
I created one by printing the flag I needed on decal paper ensuring that I printed a reverse image so that both sides are covered. I then cut a piece of thin lead foil to the size I needed and applied decals to both sides, I then bent the foil to the shape I needed and that was it it. I found it to work quite well and here is an example.

Have a look at my Gallery and you can see some more shots.

Mark
 _GOTOTOP