History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Recommended Reading Lists
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:58 AM UTC
Jeff and I discussed starting a section on recommended historical reading list categories. This is is how we can kick it off. Tell us what you want to see. For example, if you wanted to start one on the Spanish American War, World War II ETO, or Vietnam then we would have an indication of what people wanted to concentrate on rather than the two of us posting subjects for you to hit or miss. If enough interest is generated, I plan on asking Jim to construct an introductory section like that in the Armor Talk for us to cross reference our postings.
At any rate, let us know if this interest you.
DJ
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:16 PM UTC
I would like some recommendations for the campaign in Italy. Most everything I have read kind of skirts around the entire theatre excepting the Monte Cassino battles and a few others. Is their a good comprehensive history available?

Coop
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like some recommendations for the campaign in Italy. Most everything I have read kind of skirts around the entire theatre excepting the Monte Cassino battles and a few others. Is their a good comprehensive history available?

Coop

Coop--nice idea. Due to the massive subject matter area, we need to sub divide the material. For example, we could do World War II divide it by areas (ETO, Pacific, North Africa) t hen palce battles under an area. So, your desire to see books on the Battle of Monte Cassino would be under WW II Mediterranean Theater. I think it will work and can be expanded. Jeff (Ranger 74) did some fine research work on such subjects as number of amphibious assaults in WW II that should have a repository avaialbale for ease of use. I believe there is enough interest to justify the effort.
thanks
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
Clovis, I agree the Italian campaign is little known.

DJ - Like your idea of the arrangement similiar to Armor Forum. The interest in Military History can be narrow or broad, or someone may just want to narrow search at a particlar time. Timing here is excellent, I am in middle of cleaning up my 2nd floor/attic for expansion and will be "liberating" many books I have not seen in years
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Clovis, I agree the Italian campaign is little known.

DJ - Like your idea of the arrangement similiar to Armor Forum. The interest in Military History can be narrow or broad, or someone may just want to narrow search at a particlar time. Timing here is excellent, I am in middle of cleaning up my 2nd floor/attic for expansion and will be "liberating" many books I have not seen in years

Jefff--I think that's what we need to do to kick it off. We will never cover it all (Punic Wars, Civil War, Spanish American, etc.). So, we need to decide early on to limit ourselves. I would suggest wars of the 20th Century for a starter. What do you think?
DJ
mkctanker
Visit this Community
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:14 PM UTC
I would like a section just on the eastern front, I am always looking for any book on this subject. The huge tank battles, masses of men, the Russian winters. I already have a long list of books on this subject I'd like to share and look forward to any new material out there.

mkctanker
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like a section just on the eastern front, I am always looking for any book on this subject. The huge tank battles, masses of men, the Russian winters. I already have a long list of books on this subject I'd like to share and look forward to any new material out there.

mkctanker

Mkc--Good call! There seems to be a great deal of interest in that particular theater. If we get the green flag on this, I can assure you that we will have a section on the Eastern Front.
thanks
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:48 AM UTC
OK, initially limit to 20th Century - So possible categories:

World War 1

World War 2 Pacific/CBI, ETO/Atlantic, Eastern Front;
or break up into more categories

Korean War

Vietnam War (1945-1975)

Middle East Wars (Arab-Israeli, Gilf Wars, India-Pakistan)

My starters.

Jeff
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:22 PM UTC
How about a section for just the Cold War?Not any actual conflicts during it just the whole crisis of the Soviet Union vs. USA.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:23 PM UTC
Oh yeah and one on the Balkans too.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:47 AM UTC
Gentlemen--keep those ideas and replies flowing so we can accumulate a sizeable listthanks
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 03:31 AM UTC
I am cleaning up my attic (2nd floor of "Cape Cod") for expansion, and I am finding a lot of my military-related books , so I can start compiling a list.

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am cleaning up my attic (2nd floor of "Cape Cod") for expansion, and I am finding a lot of my military-related books , so I can start compiling a list.

Jeff

Jeff--how does the WW II Pacific Area look for a starter?
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 01:24 PM UTC
DJ,

The Pacific War sounds great. Will it include the CBI or will that be separate?

Jeff
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi. i like ranger 74's list seems to cover all the major conflicts. Hope it works out ok.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,

The Pacific War sounds great. Will it include the CBI or will that be separate?

Jeff

Jeff---I trust we can sub divide. The subject matter is just too large to handle any other way in my opinion.
DJ