_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
GMC Canvas help
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 08:54 AM UTC
Greetings from Bordentown NJ
What would be the best material for a canvas cover for the Peerless GMC 2.5 T truck? I got the hardcab version at the IPMS Nats Also will I have to add any tie down points for the canvas? Besides the material what is the best way to cover the bed?
I know it will be easy going from left to right side of the bed But will it be hard to include the front and back sides? Would the canvas be one or two pieces? Thanks in advance
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:08 AM UTC
Best material to replicate canvas is Kleenex type tissue. You will first need to build any bows or support that the canvas rests on. Cut to shape, leave it slightly larger for shrinkage, and lay it on the area to be covered. Mix up some white glue/water, about 50/50 mix. Brush the glue onto the tissue and let dry. For the ends, use some white glue to attach the tissue to them first, since they are under the main portion of the cover, then coat them as well. Once dry, it is hard as a rock and can be painted in any way you like.

Another method is to use epoxy putty. A good A&B type putty that is the consistency of modeling clay. Roll out the putty paper-thin, then cut to fit the cargo area. Lay it across the bows/supports and let it set up per the instructions. Once cured, it can also be painted as desired.

Good luck.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:47 AM UTC
You are in NJ... have haven't called me????
Check your PM for phone number.....
Maybe we can get together.....
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 10:52 AM UTC
Hmm did not realise that phone numbers could be used to do GMC canvas! :-)

Chad you could also use Foil off the large tubs of yogurt etc. Like has been said you need to do some hood bows and I would do the cover as two/ three piece as they oringinally where. Front/back and side to side. Tie downs would be needed as well.

If you need the hood bow sizes let me know as I have the Tamiya ones here I could measure for you.

cheers
Cliff
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:27 AM UTC
Thank Gents for the help Dave,I responded to the PM Sorry for the mixup I should've said I was at a truckstop I think this truck has the bows for the cargo bed I'll have to look
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:05 PM UTC
I have been trying out something alittle different, I wish I could remember where I heard this but----
I use paper toweling, alittle stronger and thicker than tissue paper, and I mix up some liquid starch and water, dunk it in, squeese out the excess, (leaves great little wrinkels) put it over the item to form it, works good if you wet it alittle with the mixture while playing with it as it gets stickey when drying, and when done let dry for at least 12 hours, then just paint, dust, stain, drybrush to your hearts content.

All vehicles in my gallery with tarps I used this method.
I also use wire for the frames, stronger that way, coated wire if you worry about rusting.

Or you can just buy them from somewhere, takes all the fun out it that way.

So Have Fun,
Bob
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 02:21 PM UTC
Awesome! I was wondering how I could do this! Thank you for asking this!
 _GOTOTOP