_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
criticism
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 07:03 PM UTC
Some might say this topic belongs in the junk drawer, but I disagree. Too many of us lately are forgetting that modeing is what this site is all about. I 've been around for three years now and seen folks come and go. I think the trend lately has been prone to driving some of the older members off. There are too many folks that get way to personal in their critical remarks. Just this weekend I've seen an innocent remark that strted as kind of a tease get so vicious that it had to be locked down. One of our young members made a mistake on how he handled a situation and the remarks from that got so bad that the entire post had to be removed. Even after the youngster admitted he had made a bad mistake and went back and corrected it. I think the thing that disturbed me most was one of the guys who is suppossed to be moderating the site is participating in the vicious remark throwing around. More and more posts aregetting out of hand. Hey, how about this idea. If you want to say something vicious to someone....send him a personal message, then the two of you can fight it out off site and quit dragging the site into the depths. I like a little drama as much as the next guy, but pure insulting viciousness has no place here. The monitors should pull the posts or start locking down sooner and maybe some of these mud-slingers will learn some ettiquite. Nobody says we all have to be friends here, but common courtesy and respect for the individual should be the prevailing thoughts..

JUst one man's viewpoint
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC
Well i am not quite sure if i understand the specific post that caused the problem, but i surely am with ur opinion on the rest of the case.

I really hate fighing in Armorama as much i would have hated in my family. Cause Armorama is a family for me also .

Sending threats and bad words behind a keybord doesnt prove that ure brave or clever or anything.

As u said in case there is a supposed personal assault 1-2 om;s could solve the problem and thats all.

No need to do it in public for all people to see and participate loosing time and dragging all other members in depth. To be honest i wouldnt even do that in personal. I am here to have fun and make friends. I d only do something in public if it was to warn the community for some bad person or the likes , but not for misunderstanding some phrase or anything .

Thats all .

Lets smoke the peace pipe now

OUG
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

I think I read the thread you are referring to, and I must say that I totally agree with your point of view.
Also I do think that throwing mud at each other has nothing to do with modelling anymore.
If someone posts some pics for critisism, give the man some credit, say what you have to say, but it is not necessary to get rude. This rule goes in my opinion for ALL the members, newbies or veterans...

There's already enough quarrel going on in the world!!

Just my thoughts, John.
VladVolkov
Visit this Community
Lebanon
entire network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:41 PM UTC
Am i getting this right, or is this about me? If yes, I was expecting some thoughts on what people think about destroying models and all of the sudden i get whacked in the face thats not what i had in mind.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:20 PM UTC
Problems like this often crop up on internet forums simply because it is very hard to tell if someone is saying something 'tongue in cheek' or being serious.

Since all we are doing is reading words on the screen, rather than listening to a spoken conversation, there is no way to pick up on inflection to help us judge this. We are far more likely to read into it what we want.

Language differences are another area that may lead to a comment that the writer meant in a light hearted way to be taken the wrong way.

It is quite common to find this, those of us that frequent a many online forums see this happening often, where someone will make a comment that someone else takes issue with, whether that is justified or not. Next thing you know there is a full blown argument going on.

A good way to avoid this is to think before pressing that submit button, 'how might someone interpret what I've just typed?' Am I making an over the top statement, or using hyperbole when it really doesn't serve any purpose but to inflame the situation? (eg describing making a model badly as a 'heinous crime' when you've already been given a fair bit of grief over your earlier posts). Remember, you might mean it light heartedly, but others may not read that into your post.

And really at the end of the day, don't be a Troll, that is someone who posts something simply to get a reaction from other forum members. There really is no need on here to be that perverse in your postings, if you are only trying to wind everyone up you will most likely succeed, but to what end?

Just my thoughts

and the use of a suitably placed smiley can let every one know that you are not too serious.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:33 PM UTC
yes I agree with my other friend who have posted here and by just missing one word or incorrect typing my make something seem wrong, I will always have a personal view but not as an attack, the other person may be the one who next finds that illusive detail , book or photo -be patient ith each other and model things not fight - that for the stuffed up art world - no egos no need to fight. also I ofter look at where the other person is from who starts thread or how old they are or how long they have been modelling- soo group hug time
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Am i getting this right, or is this about me? If yes, I was expecting some thoughts on what people think about destroying models and all of the sudden i get whacked in the face thats not what i had in mind.

Volkov, If you read Blaster's original post I think you get some credit from this, so don't take it personally.

I've been a member here for some years now, and have seen more and more threads become 'inflamed'. If this happens then there are two options - don't add to the fire (in which case the thread will just die on it's own), or report it to a moderator if a post or thread upsets you. There is no need whatsoever for online arguments, although I certainly agree with the feeling that language differences and age have some bearing on the problem.
We should remember when dealing with the younger or newer members that we all had to start somewhere, and I'm seeing models on the site now that I would have killed for when I first started; so encourage wherever possible, and ONLY post constructive helpfull critcism, if possible with references so that the recipient can see that the comments are fair.
Lastly, and this is aimed at ALL members, if you can't remain civil, or adhere to good manners and ettiquette, then say nothing.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:48 PM UTC
Firstly, I see this thread as little more than a thinly-disguised attack on some of the moderators. I also see it as little more than an attempt to re-open a thread which was already (correctly) locked.

No, no-one is going to agree 100% with everything said by everyone else, our comments and responses always have an element of subjectivity in them. That said, there are one or two people who through inexperience (or the provocative nature of their characters) are throwing bricks onto the forums in the hope of getting a reaction.

This, I will repeat is not acceptable on this site. Other sites have suffered more than their fair share of flame-wars and trolls. This is a site where the two basic tenets are courtesy and tolerance. I understand that sometimes people react badly and sometimes others want a bad-reaction...

This is a military modelling site, not a schoolyard or a virtual copy of the Jerry Springer show. If somene has a problem or an attitude - take it outside. Too many of us have put too much work in to see the site spoiled by infantile behaviour. The rules are clear, if anyone doesn't want to be part of it, then close the door after you...Jim

BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:53 PM UTC
you know - this may seem a little bit "petty" and it's only a slight change, but a few more smilies could well answer a few problems there.

A good :-P smiley, used with a wink, can make the difference between someone blasting your model and making you angry or someone making a hilarious comment and making you slap your forehead as you realise your mistakes!

the smiley selection could have a couple more "tongue in cheek" options!
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:57 PM UTC
Wow Jim.....
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

you know - this may seem a little bit "petty" and it's only a slight change, but a few more smilies could well answer a few problems there.

I agree. The Armorama forums could use a few more emoticons. And this does not mean more icons - I'm sure we can easily get rid of some very rarely used ones. My picks to go would be e.g.: #:-) . They could be replaced with some more expressive emoticons.

I don't say that additional emoticons will solve the problems that appear because of misunderstandings in forums, but they would be useful for sure.

Pawel
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:30 PM UTC
Thread has gone way
Steve, i agree with you mate, if someone wants to be a prick, dont do it in public and make a fool of yourself, better yet, dont do it at all! :-)
Cheers
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:54 PM UTC
hmmm for someone who says they like the quiet life you sure poked the fire with this topic.

So for now I will just say this, and it is just my opinion,
there was no need for this thread. All it is is a continuence of a thread that would have been forgotten by most within a few days, but no someone just had to stir the embers and bring it to life again.

So now having said this can't we all just go back to doing models and having fun again?
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:30 AM UTC
Different countrys, languages syntax etc.
I've put my foot in my mouth many a time. Sincere apologies work wonders to someone who misinterprets someone elses meaning.

Ships Captain : Quick, everyone get to the lifeboats and man the oars !
Engish Passenger : Thems aint oars thems me wife and sister !
Cheyenne
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:38 AM UTC

There will always be the odd trouble maker skulking around, we all know that.

Those people aside I think we must keep in mind that some poeple are more abrupt than others, some may be more sensitive than others.
The way some cultures say things come over rude to others.
I worked with a guy from another culture once. In his country people didn't make a cue when waiting to be served for example so when he came and skipped the cue and pushed in at the front he was only doing what was normal to him. Others thought he was just plain rude and this almost led to fights at times.
People are different.
If English is not your first language a wrong word may be used and cause offence where none is meant.

Definately use the emicons to make sure the context of what you say is known. :-)

I know an older member with a wealth of info has left the site because after giving some constructive criticism the other member saw fit to go into the guys gallery and slag off his work.

I don't know if this was the result the member wanted or not but I think we should all sometimes stop and think before we act.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 970 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:52 AM UTC
Perhaps we could rename this 'The Thread That Would Not Die'?

PS Tongue VERY firmly in cheek
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
I have noticed lately that sometimes improper wording of criticism or jest turns into some real unintended effects. I have made a few jokes gone bad myself. I certainly hope that it's only the caliber of the wording that has gone wrong and not that the membership quality has gone wrong.

Perhaps everyone should just take that extra minute to re-read what we are about to post before just typing it in and hitting reply as fast as possible. I know I find myself making several revisions when I read it a couple of times.

On the other hand if an original poster is asking for opinions and criticisms he/she should not be surprised if others, possibly a majority, don't share the same view.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 01:02 AM UTC
I never had a chance to respond on the other thread as it was locked down.....I didn't want to comment on the comments being thrown around....my question was on the price of the kits!!!! LOL

At least from my LHS here....$50 for the FAMO and the Flak 88, would not be a waste of money no matter how it was finished.....I would actually call that a sale, or a deal.....Maybe I am not visualizing the right kit here, but the FAMO here is like a $60+, thrown on the Flak 88 and you are looking at over $100 with taxes.......so for his $50....I think he got a damn good deal!!!!
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 01:18 AM UTC
Let me just say, and hopefully this thread will die right after I post. Everyone is at a diiferent skill level here, so take that into consideration. Two; not everyone here is from where you (you being the reader, not anyone specific) live so what you say may mean something TOTALLY different to someone living half-way around the globe.

Ask Airwarrior here, he showed me a picture of model he had built, which I liked, however I was pretty sure that squadron had yellow on the A/C, which there was, but I suggested that since he was already finished with it, to just leave it off, and not mess with a good thing.

If you have constructive criticism then share it. if you're just gonna tear into someone for the heck of it, then the door is that way ======>, and don't let it hit you on the way out. we all need to get along here and leave the petty bs off the website (again not directed at any person in particular)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 01:36 AM UTC
I forgot to add...

I have gained more knowledge and skill in the last 2 years on Armorama (1 as a general member and 1 as a silver A Guard.) I have attempted techniques and dios that I would never have dreamed of trying just a couple of years past. Above all I see plenty of our youngters building beautiful kits and painting up fabulous figures. Many of them have even put in a lot of research and study into their fields of interest.

If there are others who may have been mistaken and not of very good skill, it's sites like these that help. Even some of the harshest critiques are meant to help. No one here simply says to another member "your skills suck!" It is always to point out areas that need improvement. I am truely inspired by some of the works I have seen and read, even if no one critques my own personal work.

If ever you feel that someone needs help with their modeling skills you can simply direct them here, or any number of other sites dedicated to serving the same purpose. Big A seems to be one of the more receptive modeling sites for noobies.
 _GOTOTOP