Hosted by Matt Leese
Tamiya Super Thin Cement
bbtoys
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 03:30 PM UTC

Does anyone know a source in the US that has this in stock and will send it by mail? I have searched high and low for this stuff, including having an agent/spy pay a visit to Universal Models in HK, all to no avail.

Have they discontinued this item? Everywhere I look it is either out of stock or taken off the list of products.

Thanks in advance,

Richard
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 03:54 PM UTC
Supposedly Tamiya's thin cement is again available in the U.S. Not sure who carrys it.

I mix Testers liquid cement and Testors tube glue (in a Tamiya thin cement bottle) which seems to do the job just as well as Tamiya's offering.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:54 PM UTC
Excuse me, I have to ask, I'm curious. What's the reason in adding tube glue to liquid cement? Doesn't that make the cement thicker? And isn't thin cement what we're looking for?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:58 PM UTC
I also have been dying to restock on Tamiya Thin Cement... I just found two bottles at my local HobbyTown after several months of "out of stock" stickers on the slot - so I bought em both!

I am told that there is a problem with the "warning label" on the glue not meeting standards for the State of California, which is where Tamiya USA is based... this has been the problem. A similar situation has caused a recent shortage of some of the paint colors as well (but not all, for some reason), but that seems to have been cleared up, as my local store has a full stock once again.

KFMagee
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:28 PM UTC
Again we stumble upon the fact that everything in the state of California causes "birth defects and other reproductive harm"! :-)

This situation is similar to what we have in Finland with Tamiya's acrylics. Because of the EU, tamiya's paint go the "toys" section in import, and because they can be dangerous to health (Whoa! That's new...), these paints get extra tariffs. Tamiya paints are then either expensive, or hard to find.
bbtoys
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:41 AM UTC
Thanks all, that's very good news. I will just wait patiently for the flood of new stock :-) in California to come all the way to Massachusetts.

Am also curious about mixing Testor cement and tube glue and the characteristic of the resulting product.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 01:28 AM UTC
Howdy Richard,

My LHS has it in stock. If you don't want to wait {or if you really have a need }, I'd be happy to lend you a hand and mail some your way.........

Let me know.

regards,

Tread,
bbtoys
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 04:11 PM UTC

That's really kind !! ] If you don't mind I would love to take you up on it. I am not greedy and will only need two bottles of the stuff.

I'll try to send you a PM tomorrow with my info and ask you how I might be able to reimburse you etc.

Have a good night and thanks again,

Richard
bbtoys
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 01:36 AM UTC

Finally laid hands on some when I was in San Francisco. The LHS had three bottles on the shelf and I bought two (saving one for the next guy).

Hopefully everybody should be able to buy this stuff again now....
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 01:52 AM UTC
That's great! Now you can get back to happy modelling world..
There isn't a problem here in Singapore though... there seem to be loads of Tamiya Super Thin Cement left on the shelf.
bbtoys
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 03:09 PM UTC

Thanks JM.... good to know that the stuff is to be had in Singapore in quantity. Last resort would be to ask my sister for some next time the supply in the US dries up. She goes to Singapore for work at least once a month, often more.

What's more Tread has sent me two bottles of hte stuff which arrived while I was still in California... so I am now fully stocked up!!

Thanks Tread -- After this week I am going to put together a packet for you to thank you for your good deed!

Cheers, Richard
 _GOTOTOP