_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
(sub)miniatures files ?
bbtoys
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:21 AM UTC
Hello,

I am interested in getting subminiature files (with a square profile) to use on 1/72 armor. I need ones that are as small as 1 - 1.5 mm in width to help open up some tank track guides. I imagine I will have a thousand uses for ones that are slightly larger.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I have trolled some of the jeweler's tool sites but haven't seen anything that answers to the description.

Otherwise, might someone suggest how a tool like this might be improvised. It doesn't have to be made of super strong material since I am only going through styrene.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers, Richard

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 970 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:28 AM UTC
Don't know if they have such a thing but you could try here

http://www.micromark.com/
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:56 AM UTC
I use a few old dental, root canal files.....
Picked them up years ago, from a buddy who is/was a dentist.... now retired...... although they aren't square, they are extrememly fine, the smallest slips through a #80 drilled hole.
Maybe a talk with the "painless guy" next tooth cleaning will result in a few he no longer uses.
bbtoys
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC
Many thanks for the help.

I have perused micromark's catalogue (online and print) and haven't found anything *small* enough. EDIT: I just saw that they have a mini file set. No dimensions given but I am almost desperate enough to want to order it just to see.

Will check on the dental file you mentioned.

Another idea is to wrap micro-mesh/sandpaper wrapped around dental tools except that I wonder whether this is any different from using a drill bit plus miniature reamer to clean out the hole: i.e., I will get a round-looking hole no matter whatt.

I will also try the toothpick idea too which seems to be the best one so far for making small square holes.

Good night fellas.
 _GOTOTOP