_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
a new scratchbuilt "stonewall" panel
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC
Hi all

Recently I've been working with individual plaster stones. I've tried to make a wall panel that would allow me to build bigger walls, something similar to the linka system. I'm extremely happy to announce that I've accomplished that:)
I've made a panel that should work pretty well with 1:54 scale, but since the stones are a bit bigger than usual it can also be used with 1:32 or even bigger ones. I've used 60 different looking stones to create it. It wasn't very time consuming bit it was pretty stressful. I've already messed up one wall panel earlier, because I didn't use any oil to cover the plaster before pouring the silicone rubber. Without any release agent the rubber glued everything together and I had to throw the damn thing away. But hey, at least I know release agent is a must when working with plaster that has a lot of cracks and crevices.
So this time I covered the whole piece with oil and used the silicone rubber. I let it dry overnight. This morning I removed the supporting box and tried to remove the mold. This is what was left after I did it:

It turns out that oil and baking the stones in an oven at 150 degrees Celsius for half an hour makes the stones very fragile and "crumbly". But fortunately I was able to remove all the bits of the original panel from the mold and cast two new ones. They fit together almost perfectly and with some delicate shaping the joint should be completely covered:) This is how those two new panels look like when sitting next to each other:

and here they are, one on top of the other:

I plan to make another five different looking panels and if it all fits together I'll probably have a big grin one my face till the end of the month. So what do you all think?? Is it worth making the other five??

cheers,
dsc.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 10:42 AM UTC
I think the wall is shaping up nicely. It's also refreshing to see you share the failures along with the success, since I learn from both.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 04:09 AM UTC
veeeery nice !
lovely stones you got there. The rubble in your first picture looks good for a diorama too !
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC
They are great... A lot of work but very good.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 242 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 04:38 AM UTC
Hi Tom!

The final result looks very good and convincing, specially at 1/32 or 1/35. The interlocking method will be great to anyone who needs a long stone wall
And does it has the stone texture on both sides?

Also the rubble of the first picture is very convincing!
So you have also discovered a way to produce convincing rubble

Keep up the good work

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP