WW2 picture on my wall?
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi all,

I'm currently looking if it's possible to hang a big photo/painting with the WW2 theme on my bedroom wall. The picture has to be poster-size, so let's say 50x60cm minimal!

The problem is, where to find such a picture or painting? And especially, where to find it for a reasonable price? Of course I'm willing to pay more for it than for a common movie-poster or something like that but I don't want it to be like I'm buying Mona Lisa.....

Anyone ideas? The buy-and-sell sites I know didn't came up with much usefull stuff

Thanks,
Martin
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:38 AM UTC
Martin, try www.military-art.com or www.naval-art.com or www.aviationartprints.com or www.second-world-war.com

Vinnnie
SSG_Q
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
Best bet is to do a search for James Dietz. He does unbelievable WW2 paintings and other themes as well. (He's a former Paratrooper!!!) I personnally have a few of his pieces and after matting and framing, they look awesome. I'm also planning on having one of them tattooed on my back!!! His art is THAT good!!!
sounder
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hi

I have been a collector of aviation and military art for a long time now and have about a dozen or so framed and hanging in my den and other rooms.

Wings owned by Mike Johnson aviation and military art (son of Johnny )

Military gallery bought some great zulu war period prints there.

ebay has a section and bargains to be had.....

if you wish anymore info just pm me

Mike

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC
I can't help you with where to buy such a thing, at least at a low cost, but I applaud your idea. This is a case of great minds thinking alike. :-) As soon as my daughters move out I plan on grabbing one of their bedrooms as my modeling room. One of the first things I plan to do to the room is begin to hang posters such as you're asking about up.

smithery
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 05:32 AM UTC
Don't know of any armor related artwork, but for the avaition fans, here's another good link to check out:

http://wademeyersart.tripod.com/

Wade Meyers is an excellent aviation artist. I have a copy of "Eagles of Thunder" with two hand-drawn pencil remarques hanging above my hobby bench, and a copy of "Pressing West at FRISCO" hanging in the office.
Nokinja
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 26 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 05:45 AM UTC
If you have any of those knockoff picture stores in a mall near you, you can find a nice print there. I got this for Christmas of last year. It's not a painting, it's a print of an original, but I love it nonethless.

_GOTOTOP