_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
RCR - Boer War
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hey,

I'm doing a figure conversion of an RCR during the Boer War. I was wondering if anybody knows what their webbing would have looked like. I have a copy of the painting of the "Dawn of Mujaba Day" and the web gear would have been white. I have other pictures of brown Oliver pattern web gear. Was is one of the other or a mix mash of both. I have the book "100 Years" but there are no real clear pictures. Any RCR's out there who would know this?

Cheers

Ray
Figure_11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
if you give me a couple days, i may be able to poke around the RCR museam for some pics, they must have somthing on display.
in the mean time, the osprey title canadian army at war shows an RCR fellow with an "american-pattern mills bandolier" (looks to be a khaki canvas) belt and frog are 'canadian oliver equpment'.

try here:
http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/saw/equip/equip_e.html

http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/saw/index_e.html

mike
Leo2A6
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 12:14 PM UTC
On a similar note, does anyone know much about the RNR (Royal Newfoundland Regiment) in the boer war. I'm pretty sure it was involved, probably with a Canadian unit, but I cant seem to find any books with info and I live in Newfoundland Anyway, if anyone can find links to the history of the RNR I would be extremely appreciative.
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 02:44 PM UTC
Hi Jordan,

The RNR would not have fought in the Boer war as The Royal Newfoundland Regiment in that they were formed in WWI. There were The Royal Newfoundland Fencibles that fought in the war of 1812. Here's a good link to the Regiment in WWI. THere are recorded cased of Newfoundlanders who fought int the Boer war with British Units.

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/great_war/articles/regiment.html

http://www2.marianopolis.edu/nfldhistory/MilitaryHistoryNewfoundland.htm

A good book is "The Fighting Newfoundlander" that can be ordered through Chapters I think.

Cheers

Ray

Leo2A6
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 02:41 PM UTC
Thanks, appreciate that very much for the info and references. I love to dispell more of my ignorance every day.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 12:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A good book is "The Fighting Newfoundlander" that can be ordered through Chapters I think.

While a good book it most certainly is, you won't be getting it at any Chapters, that's for sure.

The Fighting Newfoundlander was published 40 years ago and has been out of print since that time. It is relatively rare and the best place to find it (if all you want is to read it) is the Nfld Studies section of the QE2 library at MUN. If you are determined to own a copy, repeatedly search Bookfinder.com for a second hand shop that is willing to sell it. Be aware that it usually goes for the US$125-175 range if you can find it at all. The later book about Newfoundlanders in WWII, More Fighting Newfoundlanders, is more readily available and there are about 15 copies available on Bookfinder right now for sums from US$40 through$140.

I have both books and they are well worth the effort. They are certainly the best accounts as well as being the official government accounts of our country's participation in both wars. They are also amongst the only books on the subject. Nicholson was one of the two main historians of the Canadian army during WW II (CP Stacey being the other) and his style is very goog for something written in the mid sixties. Not as colloquial as a Dancocks, but very readable and packed with info taken directly from the primary sources.

While we are on the topic of Nfld military books, if anyone ever comes across a copy of "Gunners, a History of 166 NFLD Regt" and doesn't immediately want to buy it for themselves, will you pick it up for me? I'll pay any reasonable price, and some fairly unreasonable prices, for this hard-to-find book on the regiment that went to Tuinisia and Italy. It is in a landscape format and was published in the mid/late 80s. The QE2 library has a couple of copies of this for those looking to make good models of CMP Quads and 25 pdrs in Nfld service. There are also lots of photos of other vehicles in the regiment's employ.

Regards from sunny California (business trip)

Paul
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 01:33 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

I was just at a friend's house and he may have the book your looking for, I'll check with him next week. It's funny at our local hobby show we have a category "The Republic Of Newfoundland" and you see all kinds of different schemes. Check out our website www.ihg.ca to see some of them.

Cheers

Ray
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was just at a friend's house and he may have the book your looking for, I'll check with him next week.

It would be an amazing thing if he has the book and an even more amazing thing if he was willing to part with it. Still, if he was willing, I'd probably buy it.

Quoted Text

It's funny at our local hobby show we have a category "The Republic Of Newfoundland" and you see all kinds of different schemes.

I took a look (neat stuff, by the way) and could only find one photo (BTW a couple pages of the photo links seem to be down, your webmaster might want to take a look at that) of a R of Nfld subject. I'd be interested in seeing more.

I'm intrigued by the judging system. Do you guys judge every model or just use it to evaluate only the top tier entries? How many judges do you use and how long does it take?

I should apply for expatriate membership in the IHG. Course I might have to finish a model to qualify for membership. That would be a change, for sure...

Paul
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

The show has been running for 8 years now and that is the sole purpose of the IHG is to organize and put off a show once a year. Sadly the driving force and our President (and my good friend) Tim Frampton just passed away due to a long illness. I just moved back to NL a couple of years ago and as far as shows go this is a good one. Not as big as some but participants and visitors have been growing every year.

This year we had ove a hundred models on the table and over 600 people coming through the doors to take a peek.

As for judging we judged every model but that may change I was a jugde and it took me 6 hours to judge everything. The system is an Open system similiar to the AMPS system you would use but modifed to fit other categories like warhammer, cars, sci fi etc.

Cheers

Ray
 _GOTOTOP