_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuilding Tank-treads and Wheels
Thiazi
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
I've been wanting to graduate up from scratchbuilt stowage, add-ons and conversions to actual scratchbuilt vehicles but the reality is that they all require either treads or wheels. My question is: (1) is it even worth scratchbuilding these parts for the more common subjects where I could just kit-bash and (2) if I can't find a kit or aftermarket item for a rare subject, how would one go about scratchbuilding a set of tank tracks (and could it be done without making molds etc)?

phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(1) is it even worth scratchbuilding these parts for the more common subjects where I could just kit-bash

Yes and no. I think kit-bashing is efficient if the kit has a lot of parts in common with the subject you want to build, if the kit you are stealing parts from is cheap enough, or it would save time and headaches to steal the parts from another kit. Another alternative is to look at aftermarket companies. Sometimes, they will produce update or accurizing kits that deal specifically with tires and tracks. This may alleviate having to buy a $30-40 kit for just the running gear.

Quoted Text

(2) if I can't find a kit or aftermarket item for a rare subject, how would one go about scratchbuilding a set of tank tracks (and could it be done without making molds etc)

I think the best way to scratchbuild tank tracks would be to cut out the basic outline from a piece of styrene and then add details (rubber blocks, etc) with thinnner stryene. You can do this without making molds but it will take you a LOT of time.
Hope this helps.
Kyle
Thiazi
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can do this without making molds but it will take you a LOT of time.

Well I don't have a lot of money or resources but the one thing I do have a lot of is time. I appreciate the help.

Thanks.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC
Well,a long,long time ago I did a prototype Panther II as a scratch project and I used dish shaped coat buttons that I got at a fabric store(I'll wander the aisles anywhere! )for the roadwheels. For the treads I used fly screen mesh cut to a appropriate width band strip.Was going to add styrene strip 'links',but valued the remaining brain cells I still posessed :-) :-) :-) .I used a plumbers faucett washer and round head machine screws for the idlers. lock washers,wooden spools and more machine screws became my drive sprockets.Electrical butt-splice connectors,with #12 wire,make excellent mufflers and exhaust pipes for a Panther. Be as creative as you want.Anything goes if you like it.
read,dream,plan,do!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 08:41 AM UTC
whether you buy a kit to kitbash a subject or build one yourself from other things like evergreen it will still cost a certain amount.

I myself, as I do not have a lathe, find it easier to 'rob' wheels out of other kits. I do however change the tyre tread and rim centre if need be.

If a subject I want to do is availiable in plastic as a kit, however inaccurate, I will buy the kit rather then scratch it as I save my scratchbuilding and time for less common vehicles that are not availiable in kit form.
 _GOTOTOP