_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Historex punch & die sets
tomglover
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
I am thinking about buying a Historex punch and die set, but am not sure which one to buy: the hex set or round set? Which one would be more usefull. I build all kinds of models, but mainly aircraft and tanks. I wish I could get both but £70 is a heck of a lot of money for some metal and plastic. :-)
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
Don't buy either. I have them both and there are better sets on the market. Take a look around and look at other people's products. The Historex ones are far too easily damaged. I think MicroMark do a set, and plenty of others too.

Vinnie
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
To add to Tom´s thread ......................

If Historex are not good .... what is better? Im thinking of investing in these sets as well. Any info or tips are of interest. Thanks for your help.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC
Frank, I bought the Historex set, and was extremely gentle with it. The smallest diameter dyes didn't last long before becoming deformed. Since then I've seen a couple of sets that looked to be better constructed. Unfortunatley I've no further info than this, I just can't remember the specifics! However, I'm off to the MAFVA Nationals on Sunday, and I'll keep my eye out and ask around for who does better sets, so I'll have more info Sunday evening.

Vinnie
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 11:40 AM UTC
I also want to invest into a good set, but it’s hard to find anything on them. I have MicroMark catalog and never set a punch and die set it, even on the web page there’s nothing.
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:03 PM UTC
I've had the Waldron "standard" punch and dye for about 10 years with absolutely no problems, I've just recently picked up their "sub-miniture" set and it looks fairly sturdy, but only time will tell, so farI'm very pleased with the Waldron sets
HTH
Cheers
Joker
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:33 PM UTC
Would appreciate that Vinnie. I dont mind paying the money for what I want, but at this price, I like an informed choice.

Hi Peter .. any more info on the waldron sets? Who are they available from, what is the sub-miniture set, etc?

Joe; hopefully Tom doesn´t mind us all hi-jacking the thread, but it looks like there could be quite a few interested in these items!
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:57 PM UTC
The Waldron sets I have are from one of my local hobby shops in Vancouver ( Burnaby Hobbies) but I've seen also seen Waldrons ad in Finescale Modeler, they might even have a website, not sure though.
The standard set starts with .160 ,.120, .089, .059, .039. I found that, (before I got all fancy and really needed the smaller set) this was more than fine for 90% of my modeling needs.
The" sub-miniture" set starts with .063 and goes down to .018 ( really, really small), I used them to detail some bits on the Dragon Maz/Scud monster, but they are fragile so use a small jewellers hammer to strike the punch, not anything that carries alot of weight or you'll distort the punch really quickly, a light touch is all thats really needed, at least in my experience.
HTH some more
Cheers
Pete
tomglover
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hannants sell both Waldron sets: the precision set is £68.50 and the Sub-Miniature Set is £123.75. Seems a bit too expensive!!!
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hannants sell both Waldron sets: the precision set is £68.50 and the Sub-Miniature Set is £123.75. Seems a bit too expensive!!!

Agreed Tom!

There’s a review on Waldron’s Precision Punch & Die Set at Cybermodeler

Great Models sell Waldron Punch Die Sets at:

Precision Punch Die Set $49 (£28)
Sub Miniature Punch & Die Set $89.95 (£51)

Less than Half Hannants price!
Precision Punch Die Set £68.50 ($122)
Sub Miniature Punch & Die Set £123.75 ($220)
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 183 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Frank, I bought the Historex set, and was extremely gentle with it. The smallest diameter dyes didn't last long before becoming deformed.
Vinnie

Exactly which set didn't last long? I bought the hex punch and die set from historex because I couldn't find one by reheat (which I hear is better). I hope the dumb thing doesn't crap out on me as I really need it

As far as punch and die sets go though, after I started using them I found that they are absolutely indispensable! I use them for everything. The Waldron sets are great, and I recently bought a set that is "self centering" from Precision Brand.

linkname

These are expensive, but they are wonderful tool for all types of scratch building. I don't think I could model without them now
Romeo12
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 10:53 PM UTC
Ditto on the Waldron punch sets,got the regular size and the micro and they have been great still as good as the day I got them.They are high but once you use them you wonder how you ever got along with out them!Especially if you do any scratch building at all.
BL
antonioces
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 - 04:18 AM UTC
Friend I'm looking to create one but I have a little question... these .160 ,.120, .089, .059, .039 measures are in inches or milimiters.

Thanks
Antonio
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a little question... these .160 ,.120, .089, .059, .039 measures are in inches or milimiters.

Hi Antonio
Inches!

Have bought both Historex sets since this thread begun, and to tell the truth, have hardly used them. Have been using CMKs resin nuts and bolts as they are so perfect! Its good to have the punch and dies for (an expensive) reserve though . The smallest on both has very tight tolerences, and I can see why they´re so easily damaged!
brockolee
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 08:01 AM UTC
also remember a good craftsman has all the tools look at nuts and bolts fastener stores auto parts stores and tool stores and leather goods stores and craft stores i hope i got the minds thinking Brock
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 276 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 01:22 PM UTC
i have the historex sets and the waldron sets ,the waldron sets are much better but they dont do a hex set. the BEST sets of round and hex that i have are made in italy by a company called SINTEC. [armour extra details], since the round set has different sizes than the waldron sets they compliment each other. as for the micro mark set it is the cheapest in price ,as for the quality i do not know but at around $35 it is less than half the price of the other sets .
 _GOTOTOP