_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Summertime-modeling efforts slowing down
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 03:58 AM UTC
Does your modeling slow down, now that its sumertime? With all this hot and sunny weather the building of my model airplanes has seem to come to a screeching halt. I usually try to do at least on task per day (no matter how small).

Now, it seems, I have not done anything in 2 weeks. This is typical of me in the summer, When the leaves start to fall in Ohio, modeling frenzy picks back up
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
oh yeah... Too much to do outside on the house & grounds......
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 04:22 AM UTC
I agree with Matt. Too much to do and not enough time...Darn lawn keeps growing

Brian

entire network: 4,303 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 04:35 AM UTC
Too much bikini's to look at...
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 04:36 AM UTC
Ola Johnny

Well Funny question.

Normally (At least the last years) I always slowed down to a terrible pace when the subject is modelling. But this summer was something completely different. I have done a lot of modelling (Mostly experimenting new techniques) And I have completely ignored the temperatures and such. I have even done more modeling related stuff then in the part of the year before summer.

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 04:52 AM UTC
I don't normally slow down in the summer, but this year it's coincided with a touch of 'block', a shortage of suitable kits and my son starting to play golf so it's definitely a slowdown this time around!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 05:01 AM UTC
I find I spend more time building after work and later into the nights on weekends during the summer. However I feel that I build more on the motiviation than the season. I only knocked off one model, not even a dio, and even dropped out of a campaign in winter but I knocked out a VE, Medics, two Quiet Professionals and in the middle of a Burn Baby Burn all in the past 2 months. Even with all the summer activities going on I find I can sneak in a few minutes here and there to keep things going.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 05:34 AM UTC
For me now, its completely opposite. I go to college and there isn't much room for a roomate in the dorm much less models. My tempo skyrockets during the summer.

Jeff
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 05:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with Matt. Too much to do and not enough time...Darn lawn keeps growing

Concrete.. And then green paint... Give you a chance to practice with the A/B :-) :-) :-)

I try and keep at it as well.. Ive always been an early riser, so I try and get some time at the desk early mornings on the weekends

Dave
lordQ
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 530 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
My problem: the heat, you probably wouldn't believe it's ***** hot here in Belgium. I can't use the AB, the paint dries before it reaches the model. My hands are all wet, etc. Conclusion: not much modelling here.

Q
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:09 AM UTC
This summer was not good. The heat pretty much wiped me out by the end of the day, so, I did not do much at night except to recover for the next day. It's a dog's life I say, a dog's life!
capnjock
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:41 PM UTC
Until about a week ago I was doing nothing, but then I found the right kit and have been modeling and working on it pretty steady. I agree about the summer time, its hard to build when friends call you up and say "Lets go swimming". At least in the fall and winter its to cold to do anything except stay inside, and TV gets really boring after a while so what does a guy do? Build!

~Chip
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 07:19 PM UTC
it's always summer here... :-)
we'll just get used to it and lock ourselves in the room with the kits and the air conditioner
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi all!

Summertime is my best period for modeling! Why?

- I'm a teatcher, so I have 2 month summer vacations in July/August! This means plenty of time even if there is work to do in the garden!
- My modeling room is in the basement! The coolest room in the house! Perfect temperature!

I made three models so far during summer holidays and still have some time left!

September will be different! I'll have to go to work again! Doh!

Jean-Luc
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 08:08 PM UTC
I slow down each summer. The actual modeling nearly comes to a halt, but I do use the time to prepare for the "next modeling season".

My "modeling year" runs from september to may.... the months june until august are used to draw up new ideas, try out some new techniques and to finish projects from the "last year"...

So, as we speak, I'm planning a new diorama on paper and on my computer. During the evenings I try to paint / model a bit, but most of the time it's too hot or I have different things to do
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:08 PM UTC
I can say I am woking on the modeling area - re organizing & arranging it....... But the home maint. and Painting the house this year is sucking up all my time & energy.... not to mention the OT at work....LOL
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:25 PM UTC
I've been working on my Sherman Crab and Dodge Ambulance during my holiday and I've had a lot of fun.....modelling in front of my tent with a view on the Austrian mountains and a 0.5lt beer bottle next to me
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 01:06 AM UTC
Summer is definately a slow time for me. This year especially. Having a new house built, selling the currrent house (Which is thankfully under contract) playing comp league baseball, riding my Harley (ALOT!!) fishing, and starting to rebuild a 1965 Ford Falcon 4 door wagon.....this year modeling has ceased all together. Once the move is complete, I'm sure it will resume. It always has in the past besides it's too cold here in the winter to do much outside...for me anyways. I like my warmth "Q"
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 01:50 AM UTC
My modeling area is the basement also so modeling can be done year round. And with my recently making a permanent modeling area within the basement, my productuivity has increased.
 _GOTOTOP