_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Newbie wants to buy.....
Chopper
Visit this Community
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hi everyone I am rather new to advance world of model building. I have been a RC racers for years now and I am wanting to get started learning to build dioramas as well as advanced modeling.

I was wondering if someone could post some links or let me know on what supplies are the best and what tools I need.

Right now money is not a option I have a fund put back for my hobbies and I have enough currently. So feel free to suggest anything no matter the cost.

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 08:57 AM UTC
Check the tools & supplies forum. It holds posts on non traditional materials, scratchbuilding material and plenty of other threads that answer all (or at least most of) your questions.

BTW, Welcome at Armorama ! Nice to have you on board !
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 10:30 AM UTC
As our good member Jan has already said, "Welcome aboard" Chopper!

Regarding your request for dio building input, maybe you should surf over to the newly started dio 'Campaign Ribbon' joint build on another very recent thread. Believe me, even just 'lurking' on the associated thread's during this build will educate you to a whole new world of 'good stuff'!
We are fortunate enough here at Armorama, to host a very talented group of modeler's who are quite willing to openly share and support other modelers endeavor's.

Tread.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 11:17 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Chopper, As to the Tools read the above posts and then read some of the technique posts in the other forums. While some tools are used by everyone,X-acto knife, clippers, tweezers etc. pic ones that fit your way of working. Guess what I' saying is Read learn and choose for yourself. not all tools work for everyone and Look for bargains, Tools like models can drain that piggy bank.

Josh
aKa shiryon
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 07:58 PM UTC
Below is a list from the article Scratchbuilding a Diorama (found in the FEATURES - HALL OF FAME article #9)., While this may appear somewhat out of context in terms of the comments, it is a nice basic listing, and why/how you may use the tools and supplies. Of course as a modeler you will NEVER be finished buying tools... either because you need to replace some that wear out, or you find something new that will do the job better than your old tool... or like me, you simply get hooked on trying out new modeling tools and gizmos. Hope this helps:

Razor Saw – for making longer cuts in plaster and wood
Xacto Knife (#11 blade) - for fine detail cutting – keep several new blades on hand!
Rotary Motor Tool – the most valuable tool in the studio
White Glue – or other “safe for Styrofoam” household glue
Glue Gel (Fabritac) – for joining irregular surfaces and multiple materials
Cyano-acrylic glue (“superglue”) – for fine detail work
Right Angle guide – to insure precision and consistancy in your measurements & cuts
Metal Ruler – to insure straight cuts on marks and lines
Sanding paper and blocks – to shape and smooth wood and plaster cuts
Craft Scissors – for cutting thin papers and trimming up in general
Marking pencils and felt-tip markers never an oil-based ink pen or ball point!
Fabric tape – number of uses, particularly in smooth out gaps and seams in plaster
Tissue paper – for creating “cloth textures” on a smooth surface
Interior wall spackle – great for filling in the cracks and seams in your buildings
Concrete patch paste –a wonderful scale substitute for “stucco” or mortar
Hobby paints – discussed in greater depth in the next section
Hobby brushes – ranging from 0/0 to 10/0, with some flat and angled edges too!
Alcohol or Turpenol thinner - to clean brushes and thin paint for washes and stains.
Breathing filter and goggles… the dust from some projects can be overwhelming at times!
Hobby Tweezers or Needle-nose Pliers – to handle some of the tiny parts while gluing
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 12:13 AM UTC
Howdy Chopper,
A nice shpo in the states, which has a lot of different tools for different hobby-branches (but don't put the terms like "ship-rigging" put you off, just use your common sense) is Micro-Mark. (NO, I'm NOT sponsored, I wish I was!)
http://www.micromark.com
Check them out and you might find something of your need!
Success,
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 09:36 AM UTC
I remember when I started doing this all you needed was an exacto knife, a tube of glue and some emery boards. And that was in 1982...
I know you said that money was no object, but go slow and buy one or two things at a time. I spent $200.00 on an airbrush and $100.00 on a set of sable brushes. That was seven years and 30 models ago. I still haven't used either one because they were so expensive I'm afraid of them. Start cheap. Your models will be just as good.

Trust me...
Chopper
Visit this Community
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 03:16 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for the help
 _GOTOTOP