_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Modelling books suitable for newbie
botmund
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hi all!
I am all new to modelling, did a few models +20yrs ago when I was about 10. Now I bought a Tamiya Challenger II. After seing the displays at this site I have decided to read more on how to make realistic looking models. Are there any good books that stand out among the rest that covers general modelling, wearing, painting etc?

Thanks!
botmund (Finland)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:40 PM UTC
Jerra,

Firstly - welcome to the Big-A!

2ndly... you cannot go wrong buying "How to Build Dioramas - Aircraft, armor, ship and figure models" by Sheperd Paine ( ISBN: 0-89024-195-3).

Rudi
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:33 PM UTC
Yes that was the first book that showed what you could do with models and Shep was and still i an inspiration. but don't forget this site there are features and resources and forums that will help
If you have a question just post it The guys and girls here remember what it was like on their first models and will help as much as they can and no question is"dumb"
Ian
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
Tony Greenland's panzer masterclass book is also very good. There are also armor magazines available that really help to show what can be done.
capnjock
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:21 AM UTC
Welcome to The Big A Jerra! You've found the best place on the web for information, motivation, inspiration and friendship. This site and its members are a class act, all the way.

I'd second the recommendation for the dio book by Shep Paine as well as his 'Modeling tanks and Military vehicles' book. Check E-Bay or a local bookseller for those, since the tanks one is old, you might be able to pick it up for only a few dollars. Either way, his books are solid and highly recommended for every level especially beginner/intermediate.

I'd also recommend either or both of the FSM books, "How to paint realistic military figures" and "How to build armor dioramas". I just picked them up a week ago and have been skimming through them when I've had time and there's a great amount of information and full color pictures to illustrate the authors points.

As has been pointed out by others already in this thread, by all means ask questions! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. lol The members here on this site are extraordinarily helpful with tips, historical information and other kinds of assistance. You'll enjoy your stay here for sure.

I'd also recommend for a first build picking up an easy and relatively inexpensive kit, I just got into the hobby myself last year and my first build was a small dio of a PAK40. I picked this one up for under $7 US and it comes with the AT gun and 3 man German crew with accessories. Another straight forward build that is relatively cheap is the US M41 Walker Bulldog. Something to get the juices flowing and get into practice building, then you can move on to that nice kit you have and you'll be better prepared and enjoy it more. Best thing to do though is just jump in and build a kit, ask as many questions as you need and most of all have FUN!

Best of luck and be sure to share the pictures of your builds with us, join a campaign and try some new things out.
 _GOTOTOP