TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
history channel
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC
contrary to belief, there are other things of interest to be found on the HistoryChannel besides World War 2 stuff. Late last night I became fascinated by back to back shows, one of origins of snack food, the other on Breakfast serials. Neither one has been around a long as you might think. Chocolate Candy bars came about right before the turn of the century made by Hersheys. The huge conglomerate MM/Mars first candy bar was the Milky Way and it didn't come about until the late 1920's. Potatoe chips, late 1920's

As to breakfast cereals. Right near turn of century Kelloggs corn flakes. It wasn't until the 1950's before they got sugar coating . In late 1970's due to consumer screamin and yelling, the word sugar was taken out of the titles. Remeber Sugar Smacks, SUgar Pops, and Super SUgar Crisp?)

It's amazing whats out there that isn't Miitary related...get educated guys, the next time you play trivial pursuit you'll be able to smoke 'em
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
I found that to be interesting also Steve. It sure does take you back to the old days. I forgot all about that Alien dud "Crisp" Haven't seen that cereal box in about 38 years. Did you catch the one about the Skywalker's, the story about Ironworkers.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
While I like some of the non World War II, or even non military stuff, on THC, I really wonder about some of their choices. Like what does UFO's have to do with history?
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 02:31 PM UTC
I watched an interesting history on the brick last night. Yes, read that sentence that again. It was a history of brick and I stayed with it after I fliped on to it.
Go figure.

Anyway, several episodes of "Shootout" are on Saturday, so that should displace some of what I learned about bricks.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC
Just got bac to this thread. In reply to UFO's and their relation to history. It really depends on what you believe. To me one of the great mysteries of all time if you study anthropology is the advant of what is known as modern man(Cro-Magnon -? I forgot) . Nature had diverged man's developement into Neanderthal and out of no-where comes , well us. We zap the neanderthals and become dominant species, yet human development follows a pretty straight line path through Neanderthal. One theory is alien introduction, a theory I kind of like. How does one truely explain the similarity btwn Aztec / Mayan and Egyptian pyramids. The myriad of artist renditions throughout the ages of what we have come to call greys or aliens. To me that is history because I am a believer in alien interference. I kinda think we were "seeded" here.