Local, Regional, or International.
Finescale and the IPMS nationals
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 05:53 AM UTC
I just received the email from Finescale telling me about their pictures from the IPMS Atlanta Nationals. After looking at the photos, I decided to do a breakdown of the pictures taken by Finescale.

Here it is...
Sci-Fi: 2 pictures
Figures: 4 pictures
Ships: 6 pictures
Cars: 12 pictures
Dioramas: 20 pictures (3 ships, 7 armor & 10 aircraft)
Armor: 28 pictures
Aircraft: 76 pictures

As a figure painter, I happen to know that there were some 350 figures in competition there. I could only guess at the number of entries in the other catagories.

I realize that Finescale is a magazine that primarily deals with aircraft models. But with over 3200 models in competition, perhaps there could have been a better effort made to recognize other catagories besides aircraft.

Craig

PS: I was going to post this on the Finescale board but I opted not to as I am not a regular member there. Nor do I subscribe to the magazine anymore. Perhaps I should post it there. Please let me know what you think.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC
I really don't find it surprising or upsetting, as I''m sure that each magazine will be covering it with the photos that interest the "General" readership.

I would probably be upset if I found that ratio in a figure magazine though.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
What upsets me is that Finescale bills itself as a magazine for all types of models.
A figure, car ship or armor magazine that would give that much credit to other interests would be generous (my opinion).
This is just one of the reasons that I no longer subscribe to Finescale magazine.
I guess this can be described as a "rant" on my part

Craig
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:04 AM UTC
I think of FSM as a great entry level magazine and I think the large percentage of model builders lie in the aircraft range (excluding cars, they get their own Kalmbach magazine).

I'm glad that they carry a smidgen of non-aircraft kit information. "Serious" armor, sci-fi or ship builders have their own magazines dedicated to the various genres.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:19 AM UTC
I'm becoming increasingly lost from that magazine as well, particularly with their articles on fad weathering,such as preshading, paint chipping and sludge washes.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:31 AM UTC
I am not surprised at the stats you got , this is one of the reasons i stoped my subscription years ago. There are several magazines for us figure painters you would be better off with one of those, the only time i buy FSM is if they have a buildup i like that month i may buy 3 issues a year on average and thats only to see some of the armor buildups, its rare they have a good figure or car buildup i like. One more thing i think they should rename it Fine Scale Aircraft modeler.
 _GOTOTOP