_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Brilliant new periodical
Bomberman
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:44 AM UTC
Hi Guys!
I came across a new periodical while buying the latest FSM at the local CNA or what is left of it.
The magazine is called VEG ( Vertikale Elevasie Generasie ) appears in both Afrikaans and English, brilliant reference material for SA modeler's. I got issue no. 3 and was quite impressed. It has SAAF Aircraft, tanks, submarines etc. If you do find it have a look it is most probably brought out with the modeler in mind. My subscription for it is on the way.

Regards
Tappie
Artorius
Visit this Community
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:16 AM UTC
Cool thanx for that. Will look out for it.

Keep well.
Craig
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
I'm just amazed you found a FSM in the CNA... I can't find these anywhere in CPT!

How much does this other mag sell for? Will check it out...
Bomberman
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Sorry, i was so excited about teh mag I forgot, lol.

R38,75 per issue.

Subscription 6 issues per year @ R25,00 per issue plus R 5,00 postage = R 180,00 p/a

Phone Victor Logistics at 011 972 8196

Regards,
Tappie
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 09:03 PM UTC
Thanks Tappie

FYI, Cape Townians... the CNA in St Georges Mall does NOT have this mag... I'll let u guys know if I find it...

RR
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 07:01 PM UTC
Just an extra tit-bit regarding this periodical... this came up at the IPMS meeting I attended in Cape Town on Friday last...

Yes, the magazine is in English and Afrikaans, and yes it is a bi-monthly mag... however... the English and Afrikaans editions will not be released in the same month... they will be staggered with the English following the Afrikaans... So if Edition 3 came out in Afrikaans in August, Edition 3 will be in English in September... Apparently they will be EXACTLY the same, so don't worry about missing something out by not buying one or the other... the obvious fact is that if you buy the Afrikaans edition you will be a month ahead of anyone reading the English edition... as a "sout-piel rooinek" :-) :-) :-) I'll be buying the English edition... so unless someone who bought the Afrikaans edition feels like doing a review, you'll all have to wait 'till next month for me to get my arse into gear and get the English edition :-)

Still on the language issue... apparently modelling terms have never been translated to such an extent as they have with this periodical... which raises the question: what is "stretching sprue" in Afrikaans???? :-) :-) :-)

Another point... apparently they have enough material for about 5 years of editions, but of course they rely on the modelling community for support... that means us... so support these guys!

Lastly, apparently Edition 3 is the best they have released to date, so do yourself a favour... get this one! It's only R38,75 an issue, that's only 4 beers in the local pub... :-)

Rudi
Bomberman
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi Again,
I subscribed to the mag, it is really worth it.

This issue has a nice article about the RG-32 M.

The colourplates are worth while as well as the general info on the Olifant tank.

By teh way, teh first two magazines didn't comply with the CNA's barcoding system, that is why you would not have found the first two in teh CNA. I spoke to the editor and he would welcome articles with local content.

Regards,
Tappie
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:55 PM UTC
Yet another update... :-) :-)

Just spoke to Victor from Victor Logistics (the publisher of VEG), and apparently they have Olifant articles up until about issue 9! I think he said issue 9 will feature the Olifant ARV! Still on the olifant topic... once they have competed the Olifant run of articles, they will be publishing it in a book format as well...

After the Olfant they will start with other SA AFV's... I think he said the Rooikat is next...

They have had an enormous demand for the magazines, with CNA doubling the order! And he says the english is proving as popular as the afrikaans editions...

If you subscribe for the 6 2005 issues now, i.e. at the time of issue 3 being available, you will also receive the first 2 issues... subscriptions seem to be calendar year based... i.e you subscribe for 2005, 2006, etc...

oh, and the reason why I haven't found a copy of VEG yet, is because the copies literally flew off the shelf...

For all us "souties", the English edition will be available within the next few days! So visit your local CNA daily!

Rudi

p.s. just faxed my subscription order though... :-) :-)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:59 PM UTC
For those of you who have being struggling to get hold of Victor Logistics via the above telephone number (+27 11 972 8196), please note that this number also serves as a fax line.

For more info you can also try their website: VICTOR LOGISTICS

Rudi

p.s. I saw the english edition 3 in the local CNA about 2 days ago... they only had about 10-15 copies left... these things are selling like hot cakes!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC

Rudi...........I am a thick-head.......just realized "VEG"---is the mag that wants me to do the "/features"---is the same one under discussion
Have just replied to say that I will do it .....daaaa!!!!! ...me dummy!!!
Asked how I can get the back numbers......and a subscription .....will let you know what transpires
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:41 PM UTC
Steve,

If you subscibe now they'll send you issues 1-3...

This is the mag I was going to send you... was going to send issue 3... but I am a bit dissappointed in issue 3's Centurian coverage.... seemed to repeat what was said in 2... probably just me... :-)

Rudi
Artorius
Visit this Community
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 04:33 AM UTC
Hi all.
Came across this post while in the UK and have been itching to get it. Got back a couple of days ago and got the mag yesterday. Like it a lot. Great read. Wish i could get the first 2 mags.

Keep well.
Craig
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all.
Came across this post while in the UK and have been itching to get it. Got back a couple of days ago and got the mag yesterday. Like it a lot. Great read. Wish i could get the first 2 mags.

Keep well.
Craig

Craig,

Early editions of the mag are available from Victor Logistics at the above contact details... just remember, edition 1 is a A1 poster edition, and you might feel a bit ripped off if you buy it on it's lonesome... however getting it as part of the subscription lessens the feeling... Edition 2 however is a full version mag, and let me just say, if you were impressed by edition 3... IMHO #2 was even better! Can't wait for edition 4!!! :-)

Rudi
Bomberman
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC
Got issue no.4. Great stuff. I believe that the magazine will improve even more as time goes by. And I also believe that it would benefit modeling in general. We are welcome to submit articles to the mag. Share your knowlegde and expertise for the benefit of the hobby.

Regards,
Tappie
 _GOTOTOP