TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
What about 'Sink the Bismark!'
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 03:49 PM UTC
I saw this movie today on one of the movie channels. I've seen it before but still like it because of the battle scenes. There's no award winning acting or writing, but I think it is still a good portrayal of the events leading up to the Bismark's demise.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 03:21 AM UTC
Have a look at the links to the life of Esmond Knight in this thread from the Warships forum

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/54130&page=1
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
I think it's a great movie, one of my favorites. It's based on the book Last Nine Days of the Bismarck, by C.S. Forrester, of Hornblower fame. For the most part it's very accurate. There are some glitches. I don't think Lutejens was quite the die hard Nazi the movie portrays him to be. No swordfish were shot down, and no destroyer was sunk. The movie data base, www.imdb.com lists another mistake, that the ships turn the wrong way to the helm commands. I thik that may be due to the fact the navy might have still been using the old helm commands of saying "hard to port" when they wanted to go to starboard. This represnts the way the tiller would be put over, the tller goes one way, the ship goes the other.

I would dearly love to see a remake of this movie using up to date computer generated graphics, but I doubt I'll live so long.

HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 11:58 AM UTC
One thing I thought that nailed some realism was when the ships are hit by fire, smoke and soot flew from the stacks which is what happened on those vessels.

Hp
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:40 AM UTC
Always a classic movie. I know it was one of my all time favorites. Got it on dvd now. I don't know about a remake, but one of those history channel narratives would be cool if they would spice it up a bit to use the computer graphics.
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 11:05 PM UTC
YES!!
I have always loved that movie as well
as those ships!!
I have it on DVD from Amazon!!
Ron