_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Xtracrylix varnish
lkoky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi there,

Jsut wonder has anyone had any experience with Xtracrylix various varnish: gloss, flat, satin.?

I have only so far been using Tamiya clear & vallejo matt.

The reason I am asking is because the price

100ml Flat Varnish for £2.99
16ml Flat Varnish £1.5

so if they are ok I will go for the 100ml to save some the trouble of havingto order it again in a few month time.

thanks.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 03:15 PM UTC
I've used the Xtracrylix flat varnish. Through the airbrush it is fine, I got a good finish but have had to keep wiping the needle as it did clog occasionally. I may have needed to thin it a bit more.

When I applied by brush it wasn't quite as matt a finish but not bad. It did look like I was brushing milk on the kit, whitestreaks all over the place but they disappeared completely when it dried.

However there were a lot of small bubbles so I had to apply it slowly and sometimes gently stroke the brush over the freshly applied varnish to smooth the bubbles out. Next time after shaking the bottle and stiring it I will pour some out into a small container to allow it some room for the bubbles to disipate.

I'm quite impressed with the Xtracrylix range of paints and varnishes, they cover nicely and dry VERY quickly.
 _GOTOTOP