_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
MicroSol & MicroSet in UK
lkoky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a place to get both MicroSol & MicroSet for decal applying purposes?

So far I followed the step below
1. Apply a coat of Tamiya clear coat on area where decal will go, and let it dry
2. remove the decal and place it on
3. let it dry
4. another coat of Tamiya clear
5. finally a dull coat.

After reading some ofthe post on the web, I decided to give MicroSol a shot. Any advice?

thanks.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC
You should be able to get them both from Hannants. Since they are liquid there is sometimes a problem with ordering them from abroad. The only advice I can off is that you continue to place decals on a gloss surface, and then add a few drops of MicroSol. I've never bothered with Microset. You'll probably have a heart attack the first time you use it as it makes the decal go 'wrinkly'. This is to be expected and nothing to worry about, as over time it will then conform to the surface.

Vinnie
lkoky
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 04:59 AM UTC
Thanks vinnie
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 04:24 AM UTC
Micro Set/Sol are used as a pair, The "Set" goes on first and this helps the decal to adhere, therefor helping it snuggle down. The "Set" causes the decal to pull down onto the surface, making it conform to the panel lines and other detail. They are an acid and not all setting solutions work with all decals. I use Micro Set/Sol, Areo Set/Sol and Mr Mark Setter/Softer. The later 2 are by Gunze? and are available from MDC. I use them exclusivly on Japernese manufactured decals, in fact I have found it necessary to apply only the "Setter".
Do test what you buy and be aware that "frightening" things happen to your decals when you use this stuff, so they must be left alone to settle. Having said that I sometime "play" with decals, to help get them to conform. I have written an article on the subject: Decal Dilemas Any questions please get back.
Happy decalling
Mal
lkoky
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 09:17 AM UTC
Mal

Marverlous guide, thanks a lot.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 08:06 AM UTC
Always happy to help, don't forget, if you want any more help just shout. One thing I did forget to mention is that for these solutions to work at there best you really need to apply your decals to a smooth surface. I use Klear acrylic floor polish to achieve this, another feature coming your way The Future is Klear
Again any questions just shout
Mal
 _GOTOTOP