History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Shadow Divers book
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
Over on the Warships forum I posted that I just finished the book Shadow Divers. I really liked the book, mainly because it's about a passion I have, underwater exploration. It's not that I would ever be able to do this, but I love reading about it. The book also gets into a failing of history. You can't always trust what is in the historical record.

For anybody unaware of what the book is about it's how a group of deep wreck divers found and explored a sunken WWII U-Boat. For several years the wreck was known as U-Who because it was found in a spot that the records said no u-boat was sunk at, and they couldn't find evidence of what boat it was. The book is at once a detective story, a very personal story of the two main divers, and also a record of several tragic deaths that occurred during the dives.

I highly recommend it.

If anybody is interested here is the link to the thread on the Warships forum on this. It is a spoiler as it does give away the identity of the u-boat. If you want to be suprised don't read this thread.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/55870&page=1
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:42 PM UTC
I too have just read the book and also recommend reading it. Well worth cost of the book.

Being a diver myself; personally only been down to 110 feet. It the book the divers were diving between 230 and 260 feet. I could understand the divers passion in diving, the risks, and.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC
It is an excellent book. If I remember correctly, there are other photos from the dive on U-Boat dot net.