TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
"Over There" airs tonight on FX Chanel
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:25 AM UTC
I have'nt seen any one post this, so I thought I would.

Well, here in San Antonio on Time Warner Cable, "Over There " airs tonight at 9:00PM central time.
If you haven't seen previews, it is show based on OIF. The previews look pretty good.

Let you know how it is later after the show.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:57 PM UTC
RATS! I forgot about that! Are they playing an encore?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 06:23 AM UTC
There were encores all night, in an apparent attempt to garner even a few dozen more viewers. What a tremendous waste of time. Bochco should tick to police dramas. (but not in which they sing)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 09:36 AM UTC
I liked it, You've got to remember, this isn't going to be about the Iraqui war, but those 6 or 7 characters and how they deal with things. Bochco is pretty good at developing characters and have them deal with cataclysmic or very tough events. His cop shows (Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blues) are very strongly character based. Give it a couple of weeks and see what develops.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 01:17 PM UTC
I hate to be negative about things. But I did'nt like it that well. I know this is how things are sometimes but the cheating wife really ticked me off and the soldier smoking pot to me that just didnt look to good. But maybe it will get better.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 05:40 AM UTC
Wives cheating on their husbands while deployed isn't as uncommon as one would think. I know that first hand (been with a few back in the day). And troops not smoking pot? Happens alot more than one would think. I remember a bunch of NCO's and enlisted that did it quite a bit. And the Officers Wife Swap Club in Germany...thats a story in itself.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 02:55 PM UTC
I saw the show and as far as TV shows go, it's fine.

But the thing that bothers me a bit is that there are real people, not actors, out in the ME getting zapped and they would be lucky to get mentioned during a body count on the nightly news.

I'm not sure if I am ready to see a show about this while the drama is still unfolding in real life.

Steve
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 03:29 PM UTC
I saw it, and don't think I will watch it again. Based onthe protrayal of the US soldiers and the military situations in the show, I did not know if I was watching FX or Al-Jazira! To me it was like watching the barrage of Vietnam movies that came out of the 80's and that was the problem. The show had our soldiers in a pretty negative light yet did not show the good things we are accomplishing there and did not show the brutality of the enemy we are fighting. I know it was only one show, but to me it was just another case of Hollywood trying to 'Vietnamize' the war in Iraq.
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC
I watched the first 10 minutes, and changed the channel. Steven Bochco did not do any research into the law of land warfare before starting this series. Listening to the "squad leader" rant about the generals happens in every war. However, in that situation taking fire from a mosque, the mosque has lost it's protected status. Then it is a viable target for that 203 gunner to start lighting up. I couldn't stand that first five/ 10 minutes I definately couldnt stomach the whole hour.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:17 PM UTC
I was actually just talking to my dad tonite about this, I asked him if this was insane. The conflict isn't even finished, and they are making shows about it.

Looks good though.

~Chip
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 08:41 AM UTC
I was hoping for better - but instead we got crap. Typical Hollywierd.... The head terrorist screaming to the Al-Jazerra reporter about Abu Greb - the women in combat who could have been evacuated with the Captain - but "who are safer were they are????" Safer on the front line than with the REFM?
The well marked IED (little white flags) (I guess for the dolts watching this on TV the flags show where the booby trap trip device is placed. BUT the driver of the truck didn't see them)

Like I said, I had hoped for better, I gave it a viewing - but never again.