_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Opinions needed about my Flamethrower diorama
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
Many of you have seen my Burn Baby Burn dio inspired by the scene in Saving Private Ryan. Here is the link for those who have not seen it

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/55956&page=1

Originally I was going to add the burning bodies jumping out the front gun slit just like in the movie. I even had some ideas how to create one suitable for the scene. After some thought I hesitated on adding it thinking a charred body in the middle of the fireball may be too gruesome and/or tasteless. I know there have been other discussions about dios with too much blood, too bright blood, too much gore, etc.

However in this case I believe the scene reminds so many of the scene in Saving Private Ryan, there have been quite a few people who have asked if a burning figure will be added. It would seem that in this case imitation of the movie is more a factor than the gore.

What do you guys/gals think about adding the body?
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 01:17 AM UTC
Alan -

First, remembering that this is your diorama, I'd ask what are you trying to achieve? If you are actually trying to "re-create" the scene from "Saving Pvt Ryan", then I'd say go with the body. If that scene was used as your inspiration, then I'd say go with what you want not to please others. My own opinion would be not to add the body. The details, effects. layout...everything is so well done that my imagination doesn't need the body to figure out what is happening. In fact I think having the imagination aspect left in there makes the diorama even more effective. You're work on the flamethrower effect is outstanding and doesn't need the "effects" of the flamethrower to make it successful. Very well done.

Blade48mrd
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi mate
I would say do the body and then if you don't like it or people are offended then remove it. Better to try than to wonder.
Cheers
Robbo

Really I just want to see a burnt corpse as oppose to a lump of plastic that my figures used to turn into with my homemade flame thrower when I was younger!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 02:30 AM UTC
Well as youīve asked the question, you obviously are considering it. I say, go for it!
Yes its a gruesome scene, but its all part of the whole picture. As REMEARMR says, if you donīt like it,or you think it doesnīt work, take it away.
I wouldnīt really worry about how other people might feel about it. There are people who think even modelling a tank is wrong. Canīt please everybody.
Most modellers appreciate the skills involved and will judge on that rather than the moral aspects of the scene. Im sure Spielberg felt it was better to include it rather than hide it under the carpet.

The figure could be painted as silhouette, where the shape would be more important than colours. The flames and smoke surrounding him. Whatever you decide, it should be your choice.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi, I say go for it and see how it turns out. There is NO WAY a model builder can ever build a war scene look as bad as war actually is in reality. No way, shape or form. Just like they can NEVER make a movie that can show the true reality of war. I've seen a couple dios. in books with dead crewmen laying on a burn out tank and such and thought it was very well done. So I will be looking forward to seeing what you eventually come up with and how you did the painting and such.

And you may be helping to open up another dimension of this hobby that very few people seem willing to try.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hey Alan:

Your Dio, your ideas, you put the time in. The way I look at it...if people dont like looking at a burned plastic figure in a dio, then they dont have to look at it. Sounds like a very interesting task.

Burn Baby Burn

Brian
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 03:34 AM UTC
I'd say leave it out. You've made the point with the scene as it is. Adding it would seem over the top and even if it works will look too Hollywood.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
I wouldn't worry about the gore factor. My concern is the technique. Fire is tough to do, you have done a nice job on the bunker. That came out well. You were able to take advantage of the bunker to contain, shape and hide the flames.
A figure will open up the flames and will need a unique flair.
I agree with REMEARMR, create the figure, if you like it great put it in, if not leave it out.
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 03:52 AM UTC
you could model the figure diving out of the flames, then put it on a small "pin" of wire which pushes into the cotton wool.

If the response is too negative, "yoink!" the blazing man is gone
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:33 AM UTC
Thanks all. I think that I have a solution that will emulate a hellish end for those inside the bunker yet not be over the top with the gore.

I will try and experiment with some of the effects this weekend and post new pics.

GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 451 Posts
KitMaker Network: 158 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
for the sake of the feeling of the dio, i say leave it out the extra horrific and yuck - we all know what's going on there in that scene.

BUT - for the sake of technique and furthering your modelling skill- go for it. give it a shot, at least.

i see u.
 _GOTOTOP