TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Battle Star Galactica - ongoing
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 01:07 AM UTC
Here in the US the continuation of BSG started on July 15th - I'm still watching with high hopes. I was deeply dissapointed that they made Boomer a Cylon and harbored sympathetic feelings towards her....them....the Boomers. Those feelings have subsided though after she tried to kill Adama. Now if only I could convince my wife to watch a little of the original one :-).
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
I'm having a tough time with Baltar and his dreams communicating with Six. Maybe I'm just not that smart to understand such a surreal situation. Since Caprica Boomer is "pregnant" with Helo's child, Baltar and Six keep talking about "their" child. I assume they are symbolically speaking of the same child with Six representing the Cylons and Baltar representing the Humans. I still don't understand why they are talking about it at all in his dreams. You don't suppose Baltar is a Cylon and he's just not comprehending the messages being sent by the Cylons because he was also programmed to think he's human??
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 05:29 AM UTC
I think "6" is referring to Helo & Caprica Boomer's child. I believe Baltar to be human. "6" has got to go though, that last vision she gave Baltar about Adama is just more "conflama" (conflict & drama = conflama) that I don't want to see for our beaten & battered humans. It is hard to watch at times because it is soo miserably depressing - the writers really have it out for the human race - I'm surprised the show has gone on this long due to the fact that they haven't killed them all off.

I already found myself questioning things about this new, more realistic show in that they still do a poor job of explaining how they manage to have a single Viper left or ammo for them - let alone pilots. July 15th's episode had several Vipers deployed - where are they coming from - who's flying them?

Then there is all the stuff with the president & the press - that is a lot of press for a population of over 43,000. Would anyone really give a crap about that? - hmmm, I'm cramped up in this ship. The fear of dying is with me everyday - oh wait I know I'll watch the local monitor and get all worked up over the "elections"

.........still I watch with a smile on my face :-)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC
I guess that higher plane of existence dream stuff bothers me much more than the other details, although I too have questioned the neverending supply of Vipers and ammo. I suppose they can say they loaded themselves to the brim with in the original pilot ep when Adama gets trapped with that Cylon at the ammo depot. However Vipers would be impossible to replace.

BTW I think I heard on another forum that they will have an ep similar to the Pegasus episode in the original series. Have you heard any such rumors?
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 07:12 AM UTC
I arrive at all conclusions on my own. I don't really visit any related sites as I want to be surprised on Friday nights :-) .

I think the Pegasus thing would be awesome, however, unlikely as it would go against the "the stupid humans are all going to die slowly ha-ha-ha!" kinda theme the new owners of the series are currently using. The only good that could come out of copying the Pegasus idea from the old series is that it would get them out of the corner they have backed themselves into concerning trained man-power & Vipers. Once it gets destroyed by the Cylons, because you know it would, the remaining crew & materiel(hopefully there would be some) would fill that void.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 01:06 PM UTC
I like the show but they really have to move it along. That Baltar stuff is getting to be a real drag. It has gone on forever with little resolution.

I do like the (ex)drunk chief for some reason. Seems like a good character.

I still say they need to get off the Galactica and focus some on the other ships. People would be freaking out and Cylons would be on their ships, etc.

Next week looks like the Richard Hatch character is back and that's good, but they really need to tell us how the other humans are handling this crisis.

Steve
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC
I almost think the whole Baltar thing is designed to irritate - I just fear the menace that he may become now that he has accepted 6' baby thing. Before he was just looking to protect his secret - now he has a purpose - destroy Adama - I can only think the Cylons followed suit with that when Galactica Boomer's attempt on Adama's life failed.

Richard Hatch I think personifies the "rest of the fleet" with possible selfish motives mixed in - his resolve is a metaphor for the fleet just wanting to know what the @#$@ is going on and what is the current leadership doing about it? Again with a little uncertainty sprinkled in to cause suspicion. Let's not forget Col. Teigh's wife seems to be up to no good as well. :-)
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 01:51 PM UTC
I've not seen any of the new BSG series, as it's not on UK terrestial TV yet. But as to the mystery of the never ending supply of Vipers etc... I seem to remember from the original series that they used the same Viper over and over again... Did they realy think we would be fooled by the same clip being shown in mirror image?? That's probably why they don't have serial no's or markings..

Cheers
Henk
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:30 PM UTC
If you remember, they were training people to become pilots this indiates to me that they had more craft than operators. Not being familiar with all the specs of one of these, how many Vipers does the Galactica carry for a full complement. As they get damaged, you cannibalize to keep others operational. Ammo might be able to be manufactured or do they shoot plasma type beams at each other. Folks this one ain't set up to be a kiddee show like the one you guys watched when you were kids. This is the grown up version. Hence no cute little robots, no good guys wearing white hats bad guys wearing black hats. Lucky me, I was in Germany when the original was on. I've seen maybe a dozen episodes in my life. It struck me as being as childish as the Buck Rogers one that followed it.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It struck me as being as childish as the Buck Rogers one that followed it.

I almost managed to forget about that one,.....almost...
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Folks this one ain't set up to be a kiddee show like the one you guys watched when you were kids. This is the grown up version.

? I think the conversation above has that fact well in hand.

I don't recall seeing any Viper in the new one firing any "Plasma" & I doubt they manufacture ammo on board as they jettisoned the magazine in the 1st episode and blew it up as they though they were being de-commissioned, hence the need to get to Ragnar. They didn't go there to get raw materials - they went to get ordnance.

I remember them training a handful of pilots, 2-3 of which have already been killed. I find it hard to believe that despite all the inadequacies the writers have bestowed upon the crew of the Galactica that they can muster the strength to go after the Cylons with 20+ Vipers like they did on July 22nd and deal with them for 10 minutes and come back with no losses. I seem to recall in a previous episode they actually gave a number of pilots and it was like 40 or so.

I would have been 9-10 when the original BSG came out - of course it doesn't hold up to today's cynical standards, but should it? They new one comes off as standing proud and tall with it's chest pushed out boasting credibility because it can appeal to a more descerning audience. Well, it lacks then.

Hey at least they don't try to write things off by having some robot nerd or a guy with some girl's hair accesory glued to his face babble on about pissed off clouds of gas or say the "force" did it.
:-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 02:28 AM UTC
It was a dozen or so in "Blue" Squadron (Apollo's squadron). There were other squadron's on the Galactica (4 total?) as well as all the other pilots they took on board after the initial Cylon onslaught as well as later when the Pegasus pilots came onboard. I would have guessed from a few shots they did show in BG(1978) that they had about 60 vipers and pilots. From shots in the new Galactica mini-series I would say about the same.

Jim
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
In the new BSG don't forget that not all pilots are Viper pilots. They have those newly introduced Raptors (Boomer's ship) that seem to be Electronics and Communications type support craft. It would appear that not every craft in a squadron would be a Viper. However eventually they are going to have to confront the problem of dwindling supplies.

Even Stargate Atlantis now has a long lifeline back to Earth to replenish supplies and personnel.