History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
I-58 The sub that sunk the Indy
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:32 PM UTC
I wasn't sure where I should post these pictures but I know they have never been published. I have an occasional beer with the seaman that took these photos during Operation Roads End in April of 1946. He was on the USS Chicago, the 2nd ship behind the Mo into Tokyo when the surrender was signed.

In any case, the sub in the background of the the first photo is is the I-58, the sub that sunk the Indianapolis. Photo taken from the Chicago...

Now, from what what I have been told, most of the Japanese sub fleet was scuttled. The I-58 was singled out for special treatment by cruisers and destoyers. This picture shows the I-58 being hit.

Remember, history is where you find it, not just in a book or a model box. Sometimes, you find it in a retired engineer who did his part.

Shaun
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 03:39 PM UTC
It certainly wasn't unusual to take revenge out on Japanese warships. Nagato, the flagship of Yammamoto when the Kido Butai attacked Pearl Harbor, was specifically set out at Bikini as if she was to be sacrificed for her part in starting the war.

Interesting story and pictures, thanks for sharing.

MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 04:19 PM UTC
Those are some pretty cool pictures your friend has there. I don't know whether it's just the fact that I'm a Hoosier, but the sinking of the Indianapolis has always been interesting to me. Thanks for your time and the photos.