_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Converting Italeri M925 to a M54
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
entire network: 217 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hi
I have the italeri m925 truck and the old r/m m34 tactical truck, can I mate the cab from the m34 to the m925 chassis?
I know the hood need to be longer,but by how much?
what else do I need to do, I know there's a real models conversion but I can afford it now and want to use what I have.
thanks
Eran
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC
Eran,
Check out this thread, it should explain it all.
M-54 Guntruck Thread
Gunnie is our resident Guntruck Expert. Also take a look at his site: Gunnies webpage
These should get you there. By the way, I should have images of my guntruck, "King Cobra" posted later today. Keep an eye out.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
I'll be looking for your pics also Gino, it'll be nice to see another GT!

Tread.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 04:38 AM UTC
Here are photos of my "King Cobra". Sorry for the quality, still figuring out the digital camera.

If they don't come out, check in the Showcase below
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:21 AM UTC
Hey Eran, no prob I have a spare 54 conversion for the 935 I'll try to send it before shabbat if not nevt week.

Josh aKa shiryon
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:20 PM UTC
Hey Gino,

Just checked out your 'King Cobra' GT........very nice my friend. Had to pull my copy of Kutta's book off the shelf to compare. Good job!
Siince 'King Cobra' was an M54 5T, which kit did you use? Or what conversion?

Like the rest of your Gallery too. You should be proud of your work.

Tread.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:10 AM UTC
Tread,
Glad you like "King Cobra" and my other models. I am still working on better photos of them. The current photos don't do them justice. And yes, I am very proud of my work. Those photos only represent about half of my collection, maybe I can convince Jim to add a gallery for me here once I get better photos since I already filled up the MSN gallery.

For "King Cobra", I used the Italeri M925 chasis, shortened by 1/8" behind the cab, M925 bed. Cab is an extended AFV club M35 cab. I stretched the cab about 3/8 of an inch in the hood and fenders. Then added the air cleaner (Modified) to the right fender from the M925 kit. The lights are changed in the same manner as backdating to an M35A1 with old style, split tail lights/ blackout lights and turn signals/ blackout lights. It wasn't too difficult and I am pleased with the results.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 03:27 AM UTC
I've done a few M35's and M54's (see pics in General Quarters-link below), but Gunnie is really da man for this question.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
I have the italeri m925 truck and the old r/m m34 tactical truck, can I mate the cab from the m34 to the m925 chassis?
I know the hood need to be longer,but by how much?
what else do I need to do, I know there's a real models conversion but I can afford it now and want to use what I have.
thanks
Eran

Sorry for the delay Eran - I've been busy in the workshop...

You can mate the M34 Cab to an Italeri M925 chassis, but the fit around the wheelhouse is going to be too tight to convince anyone that you're modeling a M54. If you've got an offer (above post) to get a proper resin M54 Cab - then by all means go with that. Links were provided above on where to cut and stretch the M3x Series cab into the dimensions of an M5x Series cab already. It isn't too difficult to do with the M34 Cab, but AFV Club's Cab is better detailed and suited for this conversion.

If you're only building a "down-n-dirty" M54 Conversion for a G/T, then fine detail isn't your aim. The Cargo Bed from the M34 kit isn't usable. Use the Italeri parts and remove the water drainage holes on the walls of the Cargo Box - these weren't on the M54. If you're mounting slab armor plating on the side - that'll take care of this problem. Remove all the NATO-style lights too. Lastly, consult the photos of the truck you intend to build, and detail accordingly...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 06:55 AM UTC
check out http:/home.earthlink.net/~gtadw all the trucks that I built on this site are the M-34cab and M925 Chassis. Let me know if you what info tto stretch the cab etc.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 08:10 AM UTC
I believe Real Models of Germany produce a conversion based around the AFV Club kit of the M35.

Jack Kringle (:-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe Real Models of Germany produce a conversion based around the AFV Club kit of the M35.

Yep - they do, and it's a nice conversion too.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP