History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Gen Westmoreland -RIP
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 10:41 AM UTC
CHARLESTON, S.C. Jul 19, 2005 — Retired Gen. William Westmoreland, who commanded American troops in Vietnam the nation's longest conflict and the only war America lost died Monday night. He was 91.
Westmoreland died of natural causes at Bishop Gadsden retirement home, where he had lived with his wife for several years, said his son, James Ripley Westmoreland.
The silver-haired, jut-jawed officer, who rose through the ranks quickly in Europe during World War II and later became superintendent of West Point, contended the United States did not lose the conflict in Southeast Asia.
"It's more accurate to say our country did not fulfill its commitment to South Vietnam," he said. "By virtue of Vietnam, the U.S. held the line for 10 years and stopped the dominoes from falling."
As commander of U.S. forces in Vietnam from 1964 to 1968, Westmoreland oversaw the introduction of ground troops in Vietnam and a dramatic increase in the number of U.S. troops there.
American support for the war suffered a tremendous blow near the end of Westmoreland's tenure when enemy forces attacked several cities and towns throughout South Vietnam in what is known as the Tet Offensive in 1968. Though Westmoreland fought off the attacks, the American public remained stunned that the enemy had gained access to the U.S. Embassy in Saigon, even if only for a few hours.
After the event, President Lyndon Johnson limited further increases in troops; Westmoreland was recalled to Washington to serve as the U.S. Army Chief of Staff after asking for reinforcements in response to the attacks.
Westmoreland would later say he did not know how history would deal with him.
"Few people have a field command as long as I did," he said. "They put me over there and they forgot about me. But I was there seven days a week, working 14 to 16 hours a day.
"I have no apologies, no regrets. I gave my very best efforts," he added. "I've been hung in effigy. I've been spat upon. You just have to let those things bounce off."
Later, after many of the wounds caused by the divisive conflict began to heal, Westmoreland led thousands of his comrades in the November, 1982, veterans march in Washington to dedicate the Vietnam War Memorial.

Gods Speed General.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 02:16 PM UTC
Rest in Peace
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
entire network: 447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 06:41 PM UTC
I got the news of Gen. Westmoreland "Westy" died on last Tuesday, he was an excellent commander in the Nam war as his successors: Gen. Creighton Abrams and Gen. Fred Weyand.
US Army was never lost any battle in Nam as my point of view, there was not a bad military command in this war but a bad way to do the war - a limited war - that means US soldier must fight with only a hand, the other hand was attached behind the back.
The Tet Offensive was a success of the ARVN in Viet Cong's counter-attack in South Vietnam with a light support from US Army in the Vietnamization program but no one had told about this, Westmoreland was lost in this war by media: TV, newspapers, etc.
Rest in peace, Westy, a great man !

PS: Westmoreland Funeral will be on Monday 25th, 2005 at the US Military Academy West Point.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Vietnam the nation's longest conflict and the only war America lost

SAYS WHO ?????!!!!!

To GEN Wetmoreland Godspeed SIR !!

Steven M. Joyce
MAJ ARMOR
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC
OMG !!!

I got to read these canned obits MORE carefully. Didn't even see the back-handed remark until pointed out here. Damn media - they can't even let a good man rest in peace.

I can only imagine what today's media would say of old "Blood n' Guts" if he was the one to pass.

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 06:06 PM UTC
I got news of his passing when i read last weeks TIME mag. It was only a small piece. I still wonder, whether it would have been a bigger picture or story if the US had won the war.
I was not even born when the Vietnam war took place. I was born in the 80s during the end of cold war, ronald reagan, Challenger, etc.
But a split second after i saw his pic, i know it was the great General.
I had so much love for the military that I try to read as much about it as i possibly can.
Mc Arthur once said that an old soldier never dies, but he just dissappear ....
something like that..
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:27 PM UTC
Rest Easy mate
And dont stress, you can never lose a war that never officially began So to those naysayers, We never lost the conflict either!
Cheers