History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
36 years ago today...
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 07:17 AM UTC
Man walked on the moon for the first time. From what I have read it was, and still is, the second most expensive thing the United States government ever spent money on. Every time I look at the moon I vaguely remember Armstrong stepping off that ladder.

I still get a tear in my eye, and frankly wish I could go too...

Shaun
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:14 AM UTC
You can't go.......I want to. I was 11 and I still think it's the greatest thing Man has achieved in my lifetime. In the school where I teach we have another Science teacher who is about 29. He insists it was all a mock up and teaches the kids it wasn't real. I feel like smacking him.

Vinnie
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 03:55 PM UTC
I was standing lower level watch, in the engineroom, in the middle of the ocean, when it was announced over the 1MC.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 04:12 PM UTC
I stayed up in my room, a 19 year old living with his parents, in a cheap jack apartment upstairs from a cheaper bar and watched one of humanity's monumental moments on a b&w tv with rabbit ears, and heard Neil Armstrong flub his line by missing a single letter "A". I then wrote a goofy, late adolescent poem comparing the astronauts to Tolkien's ring bearers, from his Trilogy which I read that summer.

Vinnie, you should smack your flatlander, duma$$ co-teacher for such asinine teaching criteria. Every argument raised to counter the truth can easily be debunked. And some of those are so abismally stupid, with a capital STOO, to deserve a dope slap just for repeating them.
One of the dumbest is that the stars don't show up in any pictures. Well, DUH, take a picture of the full moon in your back yard. Expose it just long enough to get details of the surface and count the stars in the rest of the sky. Total=0. Now, attempt to get a picture of the starfield with the moon in the frame. Any success will absolutely overexpose the moon, washing out the starfield near it as well.
Just plain Darwin Award dumb.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 07:44 PM UTC
I had forgotten man it still is one of the "what were you doing when" I was almost 10 and I was absolutley bespotted by the whole thing - thought by the time I was 40 we would be travelling there- read books about that and then there was 'Space1999" oh those were the days and then the next thing we had was the apollo 13 near disaster- at 10 stayed up then got up really early to listen to that awefull static until they finally saw the shutes
Ian
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:27 PM UTC
As I was seven at the time, I'm not sure if I was allowed to stay up late to watch the landing. But I remember drawing a picture of it at school the next day. Stayed on my wardrobe door for years after (even if it was rubbish).

During a drivelling conversation in the pub a few years ago, a friend and I came to the conclusion that you know you are heading towards middle age when you start working with people born after the moon landing

And curiously enough all of my girlfriends were born before July 1969. Now I'm past 40, perhaps it's time to do something about that

And Vinnie, does your flatearther colleague ever wonder where stars go to in the daytime ???
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And curiously enough all of my girlfriends were born before July 1969. Now I'm past 40, perhaps it's time to do something about that

You go guy! Woohoo! :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 01:10 AM UTC
Come on Al, it is obvious the moon landing photos were faked...

Shaun