TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Top WW2 Game, Split up by theater
Stoner1313
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 03:08 AM UTC
As an avid gamer, i learned much of what i know about ww2 from videogames, therefore i am starting this thread on the best WW2 PC games by theater

ETO - This is a tie between Call of Duty and MOH Allied Assault

MOH is the bar that other ww2 first person shooters try to achieve. Medal of Honor Allied Assault features easy enough play, along with good weapon selection and a good online setup. That, and one incredible D-Day mission.

Call of Duty gets in there for the tie with solid gameplay and stunning graphics

Battle of Britain - For me personally this goes to Microsofts Combat Flight Simulator just for the feeling it gives of British air scrambles with the siren blaring and the rush of chaos on the way up to intercept

Pacific Theater - Medal of Honor Pacific Assault wins because of the good graphics, great online, and because of a stirring Pearlt Harbor level

Africa - ???? Never played a game with a desrt campaign, so you tell me

Honorable Mention - Cant really put this in a category because of it has no single player, but i give it to Day of Defeat, a Half Life mod (so its WW2 meets counterstrike) that feature the most realistic combat from a WW2 fps. If you are hit in the chest by a rifle, you're done for. There is no running and jumping at close range to avoid enemys, you must use your war smarts to flank and snipe your opponents, very hard game to learn, but the most realistic i think

So go ahead and say wether or not you agree, or make your own list with reasons
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi Josh!

For me, the best ww2 game is COMBAT MISSION!

There are 3 versions of that game:
first one = Beyond Overlord (Europe)
Second = Barbarossa to Berlin (Russia)
Third = Afrika korps (Afrika and Italy)

All use the same principe: you have a 3D map with some units (allied or axis) and a mission to accomplish! You can see the terrain but not your enemy until it is visible or shoots at you! You have to move your troops, tanks, trucks, artillery etc and it is turn based. You decide what to do and the action lasts for one minute. Then it stops and you decide again and so on!
All I can say is when you begin a map, you want to finish it! And it can take more than 10 hours for the bigger ones! The best maps are allied troops against german fortified lines with bunkers and pillboxes... very immersive!
It's like playing with movable plastic troops on a 3D diorama!

If you want to learn more, go to the Battlefront site:
http://www.battlefront.com/index.htm

Jean-Luc
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
Josh, it's because of games like MOH and Call of Duty that I don't own a PS2. Don't get me wrong, I've played both and absolutley love them. And every time I see them I have to fight myself not to buy a PS2 and these games because I know if I do my modeling time will drop to 0. Not to mention my sleep time and total productivity!
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
My favourite for ETO campaign is Brothers in Arms for single player, Call of Duty for multiplayer. Both have fantastic gameplay and replay value.
procrazzy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 03:04 AM UTC
Call of Duty is very good (it has ETO and eastern Front). The graphics in Brothers in Arms are just stunning and yu can controll you squad. IL2 is probabbly the best flight sim ever (it is also set in the eastern front), as is Pacific Fighters (uses same graphics engine but is set in Pacific.

cheers

Philip
Crackshot53
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:28 AM UTC
Medal of Honor Eiteuropean Assult is excellent, dispite a very breif singleplayer campaign.