_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
German Infantry
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Guy's
I posted a new thread in the wider Armorama community regards the best enamal paint being used to represent the green uniform of the German Army WWII.
While I got some good responses, I thought I might see what all the guy's closer to home use. In the past I have always used Humbrol 111 Uniform Grey with a touch of any green but, 111 has apparently been discontinued!
I am now on the hunt for a suitable alternative. Either straight from the bottle or a combo mix but, preferably enamals. Anyway, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Lee
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 10:53 PM UTC
Lee

I have always been of the opinion that the Tamiya Field Grey was an accurate colour. I know others have said this here and on other sites as well.

As the Tamiya acrylics can be bits of buggers to brush here in the tropics I have used their enamels and they dry about the same in colour.

A bit of a tip with the enamels is to paint on a rainy day and also use the Tamiya acrylic thinner - this gives a better working time and reduces the skin lifting effect if you happen to brush over a spot a couple of times.

I use these for 1/35 - but for 1/16 figures I use oil paints - so I just mix them to match the lids of the Tamiya paint.

How do you find the Humbrol enamels for brushing? I find them to be very thin and a bit of a pain but they are fantastic through the airbrush.

Brian
FLASH
Visit this Community
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 11:06 PM UTC
Hi Brian,
enamals are my paint of choice because of the true flat/matt finish. I also find it sticks to the plastics better and I really don't have any major brushing problems. That being said I have found that the Humbrols need to be really mixed well prior to use or you will get too much sheen. I don't know if is me or not but I have always found that the Tamiya finish gives to much sheen!
I will get some Tamiya Field Grey and give it a go. Do you mix it with thinners prior to use? Will that resolve my too much sheen problem with Tamiya enamals?
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:49 PM UTC
Lee

Sorry I re-read my post just now and I see that In the third paragraph I have said to mix acrylic thinners with the enamels . I should have edited it more thoroughly before I posted. I meant to say acrylic paints (not enamels).

I have only recently bought some Tamiya enamel thinner so I haven't tried brushing with thinned paint yet. Up to now I have been lazy and just used it straight from the bottle with no problems. If it has too much of a sheen you could add a flat coat made of either Tamiya clear with flat base added, or the Australian "future" - Shine Magic" again with Tamiya flat base added.

Brian
Grypho
Visit this Community
entire network: 162 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:36 PM UTC
G'day All

I always liked the Tamiya Field grey also, but recently I have been trying some Vallejo I picked up at last years Expo.

The colour is 920 German Uniform There are various shades around it that you can use for highlights and shadows......at least if I was any good at it you could !!

Thinned 50/50 with some water they give fantastic coverage and don't have that annoying Tamiya trait of lifting of the paint you have just applied

I got them from The Military Workshop in Queensland...but they seem to have closed down as I can't get a hold of them anymore.

I can't recommend them enough.

Griffo
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 07:31 PM UTC
Military workshops is still open have only been there the other week try sending pm to jasmills he works there
Ian
Grypho
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:02 PM UTC
Thanks Ian

But.... are there 2 Military Workshops ?

I have two different website addresses for them.
DJC
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 82 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 08:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The colour is 920 German Uniform

Griffo

I bought a bottle of Vallejo 920 recently and used it on some AB German miniatures. It's a lot 'greener' than the Tamiya Field Grey I have been using and the Humbrol 31 (I think) I used to use.

There's an interesting little article on Tamiya colours for German uniforms on MiniatureZone:

http://membres.lycos.fr/MiniatureZone/archivesentrypage.htm

David
Grypho
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:32 AM UTC
Dave

I agree, it is "greener". But after you have darkened creases and added highlights, I thought it looked ok.

Interesting article at miniaturezone. If there was such a varied amount of uniform colours....almost any variation you come up with on a figure would probably be reasonably close
 _GOTOTOP