_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
zimmeret
graeme
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 02:48 PM UTC
i have a tiger 1 early prod. and i want to spice it up a little what is the best way of making good and accurate zimmeret.
p.s sorry for all the questions but i need answers lol thx.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 03:30 PM UTC
I have watched rhenders do this with a hot knife (wood burner). The results are amazing, but it takes patience and a very study hand. I don't think I could do it.

Chuck
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 05:41 PM UTC
Try the link below...this is the latest quest about zimmerit. Some of the info might be helpful...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/55096&page=1

BTW, I'm not sure if early Tiger-I have zimmerit, maybe others could give a more accurate info about that. What I'm sure of is that mid and late productions have zimms...

Cheers
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 05:56 PM UTC
Here's a great article, on the history of and how to apply zimmerit, by Paul Owen.

Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 05:58 PM UTC
Ups here you go

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/30
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:30 PM UTC
The putty tehnique worked at me and I liked the result. But your early Tiger doesn't need zimmerit, because the first zimmerit was applied in factory in september 1943.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 08:49 PM UTC
Generally first production Tigrs wouldn't have zimmerite. It may have later been put on by crew so it would be kinda crude. Mid production Tigers had it put on in the factory. I have discovered Cavalier brand Zimme-rite. It is paper thin resin with the correct pattern and generally preshaped for each vehicle. Generally runs around $15 at the discount mai orders. There is also the burn methd that a few folks use. The putty method where you spread a thin layer of white (Fine Grain) puttty and then run a tool over it. Eduard does a thin brass set for various vehicles, like the Zimme-rite it is applied with super glue. Sometimes you getlucky and the kit you buy already has it molded in. I've done everything but the burn method, and my recommendation is strongly in favor of the resin Zimme-rite with a medium set superglue which gives you time to wiggle it into place.
 _GOTOTOP