History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Trouble with a German word's meaning.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi, Been spending some time reading a couple of books lately called "The 12 SS: The History of the Hitler Youth Panzer Division, Vols. One and Two, by Hubert Meyer. I've come across a word--abteilung--that is said to mean 'detachment'. But sometimes in how it is used in a sentence, it seems to mean a unit or organization that is somewhat bigger. I've heard from other books that this word means 'battalion,' but I've heard that this isn't correct. So, I'm hoping that somebody on this site can give me a little bit clearer explanation of the word and it's exact meaning.

Thanks and take care, Sgirty
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:23 AM UTC
Defining 'Abteiliung' is something like trying to define the English equivalent 'unit' - it's a term with numerous meanings. It can refer to a battalion-sized errr.. unit, but usage isn't confined to that.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:28 AM UTC
This is probably no help at all, but the literal English translation of the word "abteilung" is "department". Therefore I suppose by deduction it is a word used to describe any organizational unit...

Rudi
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 01:15 AM UTC
OK, here goes with the little I know:

The literal and most common translation for "Abteilung" is "department/division" (part of a larger entity).

Concerning for WWII things change. There Abteilung usually means a unit of (if up to strength) Battalion size.

Now, as far as I know originally/officially the term "Abteilung" meant a more or less independent non-infantry unit at corps, army or even division level (like the Flak Abteilung, Stug Abt, Afklaerungs Abt, sPz. Abt). However the Germans used both terms through eachother.
Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 332 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 05:49 AM UTC
hello,

as a native speaker, i can say that Dutchbird is right.
you can translate it by battalion or detachment.