_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Advide on to make a concrete surface
HAKO
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:38 PM UTC
Advice please - Can anybody describe how to make a realistic concrete surface for a plane/jet diorama?

husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:43 PM UTC
Ciao Hako,
I make it by spreading plaster or wall spackling on styrofoam. Once it is smooth, use a straight piece of plastic to make lines in the still wet surface (if you want) and then allow it to dry. Then you can sand it real smooth or course (as you like) and there you have it. Paint to your satisfaction. You can also use very fine sandpaper glued to a surface (depending on the scale.) Cheap and lightweight. Hope this helps.
Ciao for now
Rob
HAKO
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 12:32 AM UTC
Thanks Rob,

Wow, my first posting and a response within 10 minutes!

Sounds easy enough, I will definitely give this a try.
Any suggestions on what sort or paint or color to use?
Regards,
Harry.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 12:39 AM UTC
Welcome aboard HAKO. I use 220 grit sand paper spray painted concrete color whited glued to a plaque. You can add seams with a black fine tipped permanant marker. Quick and easy.

HTH,

Shaun
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
I use Hydrocal, or Plaster and add a few drops of cement color. Go to a home-improvement center and look for bags of cement. Then, right around that, you will find "cement dyes" so you can color your cement mix any shade. This dye also works well with plaster and hydrocal (joint compund made with gypsum) and you can add it right in and use more or less until you find the shade you want. If it's too dark, just add some more hydrocal and a little more water until it lightens up.
Now, depending on your dio base, spread the mix as the pavers would, only with a putty knife or old spatula.
For smooth edges like a sidewalk curb, I tape a length of .156X.156 strip plastic down as a "form" as real concrete guys would do.
Smooth, let dry, smooth with some sandpaper and add cracks. For some of those cracks, you might want to use a "Sharpie" magic marker and color in some like repair tar.
That should do ya.
Here to help and
Welcome to Armorama!
Cuhail
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 09:03 AM UTC
Ciao HAKO,
As you can see, we are here to help. And, there is some genuine talent around here with great ideas. And, sorry that I didn't notice, but Welcome Aboard! You will grow to love it here.
Ciao for now
Rob
 _GOTOTOP