_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I learned something today
alanhsu
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 05:51 PM UTC
well, after a few weeks of attempting to build a model using ways that I have been reading about. I finally am giving up on this project. It is now beyond the point of return....sigh....
I am so disappointed, I had big plans for this kit. Diorama, figures, and all....

One valuable lesson I learned from this...do not practice on an expensive kit! lol
Eduard set, Friulmodel track..ouch, $45 down the drain!

Thanks to all that gave me tips on washes from my earlier post. I will try again on this kit I bought from eBay for $2.25 =)

Alan

Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 05:58 PM UTC
Have you tried to give the model a new basecote of paint? Then you could start over with washing after that...
alanhsu
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:16 PM UTC
the problem didn't begin w/ the wash. I messed up the layer of paint when I got real paranoid and did something stupid cuz I thought it would be okay. Basically, the layer is very rough and jagged...you can see the discrepancy in the smoothness. It's like that ALL around the model. If I was to start over, that would be a major headache. (Everything has been attached)

I tested out a wash on the wheels and tires (which were not messed up) and it turned out fine. I guess my problem wasn't my method of washing, just that the layer had been fubar way before.

Quick question...
When applying matt coat to the model before applying a wash...do I need to thin it w/ thinner like how you would w/ paint? Should I use a brush or airbrush? I have the Humbrol matt coat.

Alan
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the problem didn't begin w/ the wash. I messed up the layer of paint when I got real paranoid and did something stupid cuz I thought it would be okay. Basically, the layer is very rough and jagged...you can see the discrepancy in the smoothness. It's like that ALL around the model. If I was to start over, that would be a major headache. (Everything has been attached)

I tested out a wash on the wheels and tires (which were not messed up) and it turned out fine. I guess my problem wasn't my method of washing, just that the layer had been fubar way before.

Quick question...
When applying matt coat to the model before applying a wash...do I need to thin it w/ thinner like how you would w/ paint? Should I use a brush or airbrush? I have the Humbrol matt coat.

Alan

The best coat you want to put on before you do the wash should be a gloss coat, because gloss coat helps the wash to flow... Hope you have better luck next time around.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:47 PM UTC
Don't despair. Try again this is a learning experience. Hope I spelled all those right
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC
Try taking a scotchbrite pad to the kit . It should smooth out the roughness.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 01:00 AM UTC
Don't toss it in the bin. Put it aside and return later. You may find a way to start over or find a different use for it.
If you want to research removing paint there are articles on oven cleaners and paint removers etc. in the forums.
Don't give up, change plans.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:31 AM UTC
Dont despair the answer is here!!
the first 5 models I built, I painted them with a brush and knew nothing about glosses/matt/washes/drybrushing etc. etc.
When I found these sites on the web I started building and painting the way I read on here and other sites and learnt quite a lot, quite quick. As my progress got better, I was unhappy with my first paint jobs. Did I dump them ... no way. Strip, start again and learn. Do you think youre going to get it right next time? Better probably but not perfect. There are too many good OOB kits now to waste money on aftermarket stuff when beginning. Whats the point when you have to learn to paint also. A good paint job on a less detailed kit looks better than a bad paint job on a kit that has every accessory known to man.
I stripped all my early models and repainted them. I know there were a lot of unfilled gaps and other imperfections but I think good painting skills are the hardest to reach and the most rewarding. So take you kit and strip it. I used caustic soda diluted with tap water. Leave the kit in the solution for half an hour and then take out and rinse. Use an old tooth brush for heavier areas. Dont worry too much about hard to reach corners. Dilute to 10 part cool water to 1 parts caustic soda. After 15 minutes take the Kit out and try. It should start to turn the water the colour of the paint. If nothing happens, add a little more caustic soda. try this but its better to wait longer with less caustic and try to add more for a quick result. The caustic makes a raction with the water and can melt the kit. Rinse well.

WARNING: Use gloves and goggles while using caustic soda. Its lethal.

Do you brush or spray your kit? If spraying....... I use a light spray of humbrol base grey from the aerosol first to bite into the kit. If brushing do the same and then get a suitable colour aerosol and spray. Let dry for three days and then you can wash without clear coats. I use humbrol thinner for mixing my washes and Ive never had any serious problems.

If you have any doubts or further questions, e-mail me at
[email protected]
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
Don't bin it. There is alot to learn. There will come a time when you will feel confident to return to it and it will turn out alot better I've been doing this modelling thing for a million years and I'm still learning, Thats why I like this forum. :-) Take things one step at a time
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 06:15 AM UTC
Check out Floquils Easy Lift Off (ELO). It'll take paint off quickly (at least acrylics come off fast). Since it's a liguid you should be able to save that kit with a little ELO and careful brushing to get the paint off. That product has saved me $100s of dollars (USD, that is thousands in Can. money) in figures and kits that have been salvaged...
If you don't feel like doing it now, come back to it later.......

Good Luck,

Nate, Wisc. USA
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 07:38 AM UTC
Alan:
Don't throw the kit out.

Try the following.
Purchase a can of ordinary automobile brake fluid. Pour the fluid, (its clear), into a disposable pan and let your model sit in the fluid for a couple of hours. Make sure you put your bowl somewhere where pets, small children, etc. can't get into it. BE SAFE! Take the model out and you should be able to clean off the paint with an old soft tootbrush.

Dispose of the fluid properly, and wash your model carefully with warm water and soap. You are now ready to try your painting again.

As always, be careful when you are working with any product. Keep the fluid away from eyes, mouth, nose, etc., and BE CAREFUL!

Good luck on your modeling.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 08:10 AM UTC
Alan: Even if u can't get the paint to come off u can still use the model. (Personally i don't like using the toxic paint remover fluids/worried about safety)Make your diorama a burnt out hulk. Sometimes they look better than a perfectly painted model. A ruined tank would explain that paint job gone bad!! And you can tell your friends you did it on purpose.
alanhsu
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC

hey, thanks for the support guys!

the Sdkfz 251 is sitting on my monitor at the moment...I was thinking about salvaging the tracks, since it's about the only thing that I did alright on. But I changed my mind about that. Don't worry, I won't be throwing this kit away. You know...the more I look at it, it doesn't look so bad afterall. I managed to get rid of the "water marks." So I actually add some accessories to it: infantry equipments, barb wires...etc etc to make it more "alive"

thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Alan

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:34 AM UTC
Maybe a rally heavy weathering could hide some more and make it worthwhile after all. I let you into a secret. Disguising little blemishes and mistakes is part of the game also. What the viewer cant see the viewer doesnt know! Extra stowage is a good one. Its quite easy to make this stuff at home. Useful for further projects also!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:24 PM UTC
bison44 beat me to it alanhsu,
Just turn the 251 into a knocked-out, sitting on the side of the road, not-fast-enuf-to-avoid-that-darned-17pdr shell, german road side attraction!

just an idea.

Tread.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:36 PM UTC
If all else fails, salvage what you can off of it, tow it out and use it for a 'range target'.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:50 PM UTC
This is why you will always see me recommend practicing with a cheaper kit. I wouldn't throw it away though. You may want to salvage something off of it, or even strip it and restart it. You should see some of the older "builder" kits on sale at eBay. These things may someday be very valuable to someone.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 03:50 AM UTC
The difference between really good modelers and not so good modelers is how well you hide your mistakes. We all have bad finishes. You can hide blemishes with mud, damage, or stowage. Don't ever give up!

Patrick
sicktunez
Visit this Community
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 73 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
I'm new in this field...
now i am repainting my 1;35 figures and planning to built a basic diorama. Maybe a small scene.

Thanx a lot to u guys...

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hej sicktunez. Its not long ago since I was a newbie here as well. If you do a search through this diorama form you will find an answer to most of your dio needs. And if there is something you are not sure of .... just ask!
Three more good sites are
Docs Dios
and
Terragenesis
and
Milton Keynes IPMS

Hopefully this helps you with your first Dio. I appreciated these sites when I started out
alanhsu
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 06:56 PM UTC
hey thanks for the replies guys...

all your information has been very helpful

check out my new thread I started "need help from all modelers"!!

Alan
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 07:23 PM UTC
Alan... send me a photo or two... perhaps I can help you salvage this project - either by sharing information, or if push comes to shove, send me the problem parts, and I will try to remedy them for you. I do this quite a lot for people - just a fun thing... I love a challenge.

_GOTOTOP