_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Raised letters
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
entire network: 2,406 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I need raised letters like the "Garage" or "Hotel" sign in this pic. Is there any way to do this easier than cutting from Styrene sheet because cutting round letters from the Sheet is pretty hard and the results not convincing ( not rounded enough). I did not find any retailer on the Net.
Any idea out there

Thank you

phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 09:52 AM UTC
I know it is using styrene but how about this: cut a strip of styrene to the width of the letters; then draw the outline of the words you want on the building; after that, super glue one end of the strip where you would like to start (I find it better to start in the middle of a side); then, bend the strip at a corner (the strip will not be a perfect corner but rounded) and super glue that corner down; then, move to the next corner, bend it, and glue it down; repeat the process until you have the shape you want. For the letters without curves in them, just cut the strip to the dimensions you want and glue it down. Hope I was of help.
Kyle
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hello Claude wellcome to Armorama. Here in the states at a local office supply store I saw these white letters, and were made from plastic. Thier sizes where between 1- 1-1/2 inches. I'm also sure you could find the in a local arts and crafts stores. So I say to check there first, you might get lucky.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
Claude, here what I was talking about. Found there's on the net. Hope they help, or at least in the right direction.

http://www.business-supply.com/office_supplies_2015297_quartet-message-center-plastic-letters.html
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hello Guys,

I'm amazed,

posted the question 20 minutes ago and already 3 answers, what a site !!

@Kyle: bending a strip of Styrene, have to test it, but i see a lot of joints and glue in this method, a lot of potential problems i think.
@Joanathan: good idea, i may even use rolled out Magic Sculp, wait until it is set a bit and cut the letters in it. It will harden without oven.

I am actualy doing a replic of the picture posted as a part of a monster Batle of the Bulge dio (Clervaux).

Thank you very much (and open to more suggestions)

Good night

roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
Joe,

I see, I will definitely look further in my local shops also. Your link is not shipping overseas.

Thank you

Claude
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:10 AM UTC
Not sure what sizes you are looking for but good old Slaters makes these:

http://www.slatersplastikard.com/7mm%20Products/slaters%20alphabets.htm

sizes 1.5mm to 8 mm
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:33 AM UTC
Plastruct and maybe even evergreen makes a set of letters as well.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
Check model train shops. They make all sorts of premade, 3-d lettering in all sorts of sizes for train layouts.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 02:28 PM UTC
This may be more work than it sounds like, but what about stacking lead foil to the desired thickness. Then print what you want to make, then use that as a pattern to cut the letters from the foil? Sounds do-able, but I've never done anything like that. Good luck.

Patrick
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 09:45 PM UTC
Thank you all,

I will take a further look at some train supply shops and study the Plastruct offerings (they ship internationaly), but i think i have to do it myself.
One concern is that the premade letters are mostly standard Police and to a max. of 10 mm , and i need some older style letters and bigger.
I will keep you informed if one or the another way to scratch them gives good results.

Thank you again

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:03 PM UTC
Don't forget Doll House shops. I've found some Great building detail pieces. Nice 'dental' work molding, numbers for houses, nice detailed wood work.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 06:32 PM UTC
Ok, i promised you to show the result of my efforts.
Here it is

if you want further pictures of this project, please switch over to the Clervaux 17Dec44 thread .

For the raised letters i used rolled out Magic Sculp to the desired thickness, wait a bit until it as a bit set, lay over it the outprinted and to your needs modified and outtcut letters (if you can't find the exact required police) and cut out the putty letter.
Let dry and correct with Sandingpaper or other.

I tried the same with airdrying clay, but this one will not get hard enough to manipulate later.

Cheers and thank you

Claude

_GOTOTOP