_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Fixing a 1/35 50 Cal
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:44 AM UTC
Alright, so maybe I was a little impatient to take the mounted 50 cal machine gun of the sprue, which is probably why the tip of the barrel fell off. So, I was hoping that someone might have an idea of hwo to fix this little problem. The piece is fine other than the barrel, so I tried making a new barrel from some spure similar to how one makes an antenna (candle and pull method) but I figured someone might have a better idea. Thanks.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:57 PM UTC
Which kit?
The recent AFV Ma Deuces seem to be excellent replacements. Some older Tamiya aren't worth the effort to remove from the sprues.
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 585 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hi- I don't know if they still have them, but Accurate Armour were selling-off Skybow .50's a while ago at about £4 for two, I think. worth checking their website.
Hope that helps
MC
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
Well, since a lot of people checked this thread out but only a couple people replied, I figured I'd say how I ended up fixing my problem, because I'm too cheap to spend 8 bucks buying a new machine gun when the kit cost me 30 somethin'. First, I completely cut off the old barrel of the gun. I then heated some sprue and spread it apart to be the new barrel. I took a 70 something drill bit with my pin vise and drilled a small hole in the center of the barrel and the center of the stock of the gun and put some 28 gauge wire in them both to stablize them during glueing. This part REALLY helped. I then realized that I would need to recreate the thicker part of the barrel at the tip of it so I cut some foil, a VERY thin piece and wrapped it around the end. I then painted it with gun metal and brushed some graphite shavings on it and I must say, for a rookie scratching building his way out of a mistake it came out a lot better than I hoped.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC
Pics, man!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 08:49 AM UTC
I just jumped in this thread and must say that your fix sounds solid.
I was thinking that a bit of thick hobby wire or solder would work for the fix.
 _GOTOTOP