TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
300 Spartans
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 07:11 AM UTC
This months "Military History" has an article about Xerses the Persian ruler who took on Greece back in 480 B.C. Instantlly the word that popped into my mind was Thermopylae. Then of course the classic movie "300 Spartans". This movie was made in the early 60's as I remember seeing it on screen as a kid in '63. In todays world of "Troy" and "Alexander", this one still holds its own. If you've never seen it or don't know about the battle, well it is an absolute must. the original Alamo or Roarkes Drift of the few taking on the thousands (only Roarkes Drift had a happy outcome. It is actually fairly accurate in its story and not hokey. I obtained a dvd somewhere, probably on ebay, so it is available.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 07:21 AM UTC
Yep, it's a good one. I think most Wal-Marts sell the DVD for under $10, maybe even $5.99. I keep meaning to pick it up.

PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 06:28 AM UTC
The 300 spartans is one of my favorite films,made in 1961 it seemed way ahead of other films made around that time.Try http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-8773860-3692627
Heres my copy

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
As kids in Germany, we'ld build forts and play it, the problem was...nobody wanted to play the Persians. We all had those nifty little swords (Toy of course) because you could get them at the little German fairs/ carnivals that were always passing through. Remember playing Jason and the Argonauts and of course "The Great Escape" We made a huge tunnel thing out of hundreds of old Christmas trees. That was the days when there was no American TV in Germany, no Nintendo/PLaystation and when all the kids could and would go outside and PLAY
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 06:50 AM UTC
With us in the states it was always playing Combat. Everybody wanted a Thompson and a camo helmet cover, ala Saunders. Nobody wanted to play the Germans. We were also big on cardboard packing boxes we could make into forts. When a neighbor got all new appliances we were in heaven.

thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 03:58 AM UTC
"Our arrows will blot out the sun!!"

"Good. Then we will fight in the shade."

Great flick!! One of my all time favorites!!

Tom