_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Vallejo Vs. Andrea
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 03:21 PM UTC
Hi All,

I'm not sure this topic has been discussed. What are the pros and cons on Vallejo and Andrea paint?

I've been use Vallejo paint on figures for couple years. I like them. Recently I've been thinking about getting some Andrea miniature paints. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Ben
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 04:25 PM UTC
When i started Figure painting, i used Andreas cause they were the available ones. They were ok , but their metallic colors with few exceptions were bad pigmented and were almost useless.

Then i started to get Valejos and all my problems of this kind were solved. Till now i buy 99% Valejos and 1% Andrea. Valejo has a far wider range of colorations and that serves my easyness and small time available. They dry to a total mat finish, and they are pretty well pigmented.

Another phenomenon with the andrea;s is that they always tend to gather their thinner on the upper part of the bottle separated from the pigment and they need 2-3 minutes of good shaking and tipping before use.
Valejo's dont do this think, so thats also a pro.

In general i am very satisfied with Valejo;'s over my time of painting. Lately i had the chance to try some Citadel metallics and they served me perfectly so this one might ve completing my range of painting colors as well. I use their primer Skull Gray and i think its the best i have used so far .

I hope i helped some

WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 05:01 PM UTC
Thanks Major Goose,

I agree with you. Vallejo is great. So is the older Citadel paint range (not the new warhammer). Citadel's metallic paint work wonders. The only thing I have about the Citadel is that they dry littlr too fast. I used Citadel mostly for bast coat and Vallejo for finer details, then blend/wash with oil.

Thanks for the advice Major, does anyone else have the similar experice?

Ben

_GOTOTOP