History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Jeep vs Kuebelwagen
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:20 AM UTC
In the past we have discussed the Sherman vs Panther, Tiger and/ or Panzer IV.

But what about the other vehicles ? What about the Jeep vs the Kuebelwagen ?

Surely the jeep is the winner there ( allthough the civillian Kuebel, the Beetle, sold more eventually )

What are your thoughts ?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC
Don't know much about a Kubelwagon, but I think it was then what it became a car. The jeep was a 4 wheel drive military vehicle if I remember correctly
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 06:01 AM UTC
From what I understand the biggest single advantage the Jeep has was it's four wheel drive, compared to only two wheel for the Kubelwagon. While the Kubelwagon had decent off road performance, the Jeep could go places it couldn't.

Two areas where the Jeep really shined had nothing to do with it's basic qualities. One was there were SO MANY of them. American production methods, with a little help from the Canadians I believe, meant there were plenty of Jeeps to go around, compared to the Kubelwagon.

The other area where the Jeep shined is in the many ways the ways the clever allied soldiers modified it to meet their needs.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
For the record. the Kubelwagen didnot become the Beetle, it was resurected as "The Thing" in the early 70's. The car we would come to know as the Beetle was introduced in the late 30's and maintained its general body lines for nearly 60 years when the last ones were built in Mexico.

Some comparisons:

Kubel's engine was the same as the beetle, a four cylendar air cooled boxer, grandfather of the classic Porsche motors. Being air cooled, there was no worry of a radiotor failing and cooking it. Having toyed a bit with that engine, I can say maintenance was a cinch.

The jeep had an inline watercooled 4. More complex to work on. Radiator needs attention to avoid overheating or freezing. However. in cold conditions, the engine could provide some heat to the passengers. The VW aircooled engine begins providing heat somewhere near mid June and refuses to provide any after September.

The jeep had four wheel drive to the Kubel's rear engine rear wheel drive.

The jeep had open sides: easier egress in an emergency.

The jeep could mount up to a Ma Deuce (.50 cal) and/or several light machine guns, especially in British hands, while the Kubel was armed only witha 7.62 with limited traverse.

So, IMHO, the jeep, overall, comes out ahead in every area except engine maintenance.