_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
How to create realistic trees
rhenders
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 159 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
Everyone has asking me about my trees that are in my dio Road to Bastonge. So here is how to make them for all who are interested.

First Step

You start with either 1/2 in by 1/2 in square balsa stock or 1/4 in by 1/4 in square stock depending on big the tree is going to be. The import thing to remember when choosing balsa is to make sure to find the softest kind as possible, this will be vital later. Next I use my dremel to knock down the hard edges once this is done and the shape is kind of round I just hand sand them down tapering them at the top. I like to hand sand them becuase it usually ends up with a better effect in the end becuase we all know trees don't grow straight.

Second step

Next I paint the tress with Woodland Scenic earth undertone. Make sure to use a brush. This will make for a good effect if you chose nice soft balsa. This will create the bark. The wet paint will make the balsa separate a little making it look like bark. If that doesnt met your stanards the next thing to do is add bark. This is done by using fine dark earth soil. Paint glue on the trunk then sprinkle the soil over the top of that. This makes for a great effect of bark. Once that is dry on to the third step.

Third Step

Adding the branched and foilage. For this step I use a dried plant call Caspia. It comes in a couple of different colors i just use the basic green color. You can purchase this at a local flower shop or craft store. The bows of the caspia work perfect. Just simply cut them off and apply them. Remember that as a tree grows smaller at the top bigger at the bottom. So cut the caspia accrodingly. Depending on which bark you chose will depend on how you mount the caspia. If you just painted the trunk and you used soft balsa the caspia will push right into the trunk. Then use just a touch of super glue to hold it in place. But if you chose to bark your tree you will have to use a pin vise to start the holes for the caspia. Trees are not perfect so be random when placing the caspia. I like to make the branches offset each other it makes the tree look more full with out having to double the branch count. By this time it should start to look like a tree. On to the next step.

Four Step

Once all the branches are on it looks like a tree but doesnt look real. Time to add a couple layers of dirt and dust. I do this with my airbrush. Using thinned down earth red and mud, and dirt. Depeding on the look that you are trying to achieve will depend on how much weathering is applied. If the trees are next to a dirt road then it would be more then a tree that is in a grass field. Once this is done the tree is ready to be put to use.

So I hope that this is helpful and happy modeling!!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
entire network: 2,406 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 05:10 PM UTC
Thank you very much for your "How to".

So i have to search for Caspia plants. Florists, i'm coming :-)

Cheers
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
entire network: 2,406 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 05:51 PM UTC
this may help to identify the "Caspia" plant

Family: PLUMBAGINACEAE
Genus: species var. Limonium bellidifolium (Gouan) Dumort.
Synonyms: Limonium caspium (Willd.) Gams
Statice: bellidifolia (Gouan) DC.
Statice: caspia Willd.
Territory EUROPE: temperate-mediterranean
saltings
Description leaves 15-40mm long, spathulate, flowers in compact spikelets, forming panicle, with numerous, non-flowering peduncles
German name is "Massliebchenblättriger Strandflieder"

Cheers

entire network: 4,303 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:14 PM UTC
Thanx for the how to!
 _GOTOTOP