_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Places to shop around for...
WakeofDemons
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
Reasonably priced airbrushes here in the GTA area of Ontario? I know Curry's sells them... but from prices I've seen on the Internet, Curry's seems a bit overpriced... I was wondering of places here in the GTA that might sell good airbrushes for a good price.... any help would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

Also...... I know hobby air compressors are very expensive... I was wondering if an automotive air compressor at Canadian Tire or places like that might work for a airbrush if properly hooked up? Thanks.
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC
The auto air comp. is what I have.It's a Speedair with a 3/4 hp motor and 3 gal. tank.I've had it about 10 years with no problems.I found it at a tool store called KMS tools.I think I've seen them at CDN Tire too.

Jim
WakeofDemons
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 47 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The auto air comp. is what I have.It's a Speedair with a 3/4 hp motor and 3 gal. tank.I've had it about 10 years with no problems.I found it at a tool store called KMS tools.I think I've seen them at CDN Tire too.

Jim

Oh nice...... how long can you use your airbrush before the compressor stops? Or it doesn't at all?
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 06:26 PM UTC
Good question,I've never payed much attention.I think it's about 1/2 hour to 45 mins.It pumps up to 120 psi. shuts down and turns on again at 80 psi.So you can paint for longer if you turn it off once it is full as you only need less than 20 psi for an airbrush.

If your thinking about noise it is a little louder than some of the hobby comp. but I have it on a concrete floor.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 08:26 PM UTC
I got mine at KMS Tools too. It's a Chinese make and is fairly loud, has a good size tank, but I'm still pretty happy with it. It was alot cheaper, by about half, than any I saw in the hobby shops, too!!!
Mind you, that's in Vancouver though! lol
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 - 01:08 PM UTC
Rigged my compressor from a small 2 gallon deal from Canadian Tire.. plumbed in a moisture trap and its all set to go.. fire it up , set the pressure and go... As for an airbrush depends what you are looking for... Id go with Curry's for a good one.. Or if you are looking for something thats a little less expensive, try Princess Auto... I picked up a pistol grip style A/B from there and works great..

Dave
 _GOTOTOP