_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Groundwork
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hi Guy's
hope you can help with some suggestions. I am putting together a desert dio and have used finely sifted sand for the groundwork but, am really not happy with the results!
Although the sand is fine it still seems out of scale. Obviously I am after a much more realistic effect.
I have seen an article that prescribes granular florists earth (ground up) that produces the effect I am after but for the life of me I can not find any local suppliers. That said, I am interested in any alternatives.

Cheers
Lee
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 04:34 PM UTC
Lee what part of the desert are you after doing - most was aris soil like us here in aussie withe low scrub and wasouts and old creek beds(wadis) but only the LRDG and sas and a few others went over the actual dunes
I would use fine decomposed granite or the yellowist river sand mixed into the plaster work, dad & I used to do a lot of desert dios of the western desert
Hang on are you doing something modern in Iraq -forgot about that - I have great sand that I got for my sons sandpit it is almost white and very fine - as a landscape supply for a Ice cream containerful more than you will need
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 05:11 PM UTC
Ian,
thanks for your response. I am doing a WWII scene Western Desert. So I am after that arid low shrub type look.
I made the mistake of following some instructions passed onto me, that basically involved a sand, water and PVA glue mix. This method is great for the basis of groundwork and it dries like cement! I thought it would apply to a desert scene. I didn't mix it with any plaster! Perhaps that is were things have gone off the rails.

Lee
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 10:49 PM UTC
Flash

Maybe you could get yourself a mortar and pestel and grind the sand down.

Glen
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:12 PM UTC
LOL what you need is some of the fine coral sand we have up this way.
 _GOTOTOP