_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Best tip using Polymer Clay
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:55 AM UTC
I want to pass along this tip that’s easy to do, and the best part…it’s cheap. “Polymer clay” I’m sure most of you heard of it. It can be found in most Art’s -n- Crafts stores, price around $2-3 dollars a block. The clay can be formed, shaped into just about anything. Just think of all the equipment you can make, and save a ton of money. Just for starters here are a few things that can be done.

Making a mold from kit parts. First roll out a small ball, (1) then under warm running water press the kit piece into the ball (2 & 3), Carefully remove the piece, the side may spread open some but just shape it back.(4)

Now preheat oven again 250 degrees on a piece of tin foil, and bake your mold for15 minuets. Wait about an hour, and now take a new piece “Polymer clay” and press it into the mold, again under running water (5). The water helps from sticking and in freeing it out. Once again preheat over 250 degrees for 15 minuets (6). Let it cool. Using a hobby knife to clean up, carve any of the edges, and sand if needed then paint

I painted it a light color just to show the detail (7). It may take some time getting used to a first, once you figure it out the possibilities are endless.

I’ll have some more tips using Polymer Clay, so keep an eye out.

Here are some of the samples of blocks

rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
Nice joe that is a very useful tip.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:59 PM UTC
Nice tip Joe....
Another nice thing is the ability to bake it, and then be able to add more details, and rebake it.
Smaller details, thinner parts, etc may turn brown, nothing to worry about, since a coat of primer does wonders.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 03:54 PM UTC
Wow Joe! Thanks for sharing that with us!
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 05:17 PM UTC
That's a great tip.. Thanks for sharing it Joe.. Didn't know that would work too.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 01:07 AM UTC
Thank s Joe for the tip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 06:14 AM UTC
better than ersin casting I'll bet. Have to give that one a shot.. HmmmmmI wonder how it works with ship parts, been thinking of modifying/ backdating a 350 scale Yamato
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 06:26 AM UTC
Great tip Joe. I can't wait to try it. I want to see if I can make any additional 105mm rounds for the Priest I'm doing. The kit only comes with a half dozen or so and the storage for the thing could hold a lot more.

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 06:47 AM UTC
Yeah Steve and Rodger you'd be amaized what you can do with this stuff. I did find that the thinner it get the more brittle it get. As I said before once baked, you can cut, shape, paint, drill and sand this clay. M y youngest daughter been using the clay for years, and had some ideas. It takes some time to get used to at first but then you'll figure it out. Each clay has it's own baking insturctions and they come in many colors from Neon,Gloss, Flats, Pearls and Metallics.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 08:45 PM UTC
Joe, thanks for sharing this tip. I have a ton of sculpey and have so far only used it to do tree stumps and logs. The whole resin casting isnt my bag either. This looks to be a great alternate. Thanks!! Kevin
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 12:01 AM UTC
Good Gravy! I've had that stuff on my bench for the last 10 years and didn't see that one!

My only question is - where is the feature?
whodini
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
Neat idea for molds, Joe!

Do you think you'd be able to use resin to make the part using this method?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
Thanks Kevin, Robert, Scott as for a feature, I'll get one togather as I have a few more tips for the use of the clay.

Robert, a for resin a pour I'm not sure. I never used resin before. Is the resin hot...I bet that it work better than just pushing the clay into the mold.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC
Jonathan I say give it a shot, you can't lose. The clay is cheaper than resin. Only thing I can think of is to make sure the walls are strong enough when pressing the clay into the mold.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 01:27 PM UTC
Howdy mother,

Thx for the tip, and even more thanks for stirring up some interest in polymer clay from the membership!
I've been touting this stuff on the threads for years now, and nobody ever listened to me about it.....just glad you finally found some 'ears' for this very cool stuff.

As an aside, there is a 'no-bake' polymer clay out there as well, it's called "Makin's Clay", and is available at your local Michael's craft store. Hobby Lobby doesn't cary it.....yet.

As another aside {since we apparently have some 'ears' here}, there is another nifty product that you can use to make metal parts of all kinds, it's called PMC, or Precious Metal Clay. It's a tad on the expensive side but it's very neat for those parts that need that 'real' metal look......
hth.

Tread
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:03 PM UTC
Thanks for the infor mate. I never thought about that and I've been using Fimo for months now.
 _GOTOTOP