TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Tora Tora Tora
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2005 - 03:57 PM UTC
I've been watching this movie for years (why the heck did any idiot every waste money making that HORRIBLE 'movie' pearl harbor?) - while watching it yesterday I was wondering where were alot of the scenes filmed? The opening scene on the Japanese battleship - not American, only 2 guns per turret.
Also the Japanese carrier launch and retrivial shots- not archivial footage,
Anyone have any ideas?

Makes me think- when someone says, what did they do in the days before CGI, I think of this movie - amazing movie.

Peter

DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2005 - 09:05 PM UTC
Peter,

IIRC USS Texas has only two guns per turret. So this could be an option...
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
As a side note, and you may already have known this, when Tora Tora Tora was released it did not do well at the boxoffice. The reason cited was that it was too accurate to the actual events and not enough fluff.

The critics would have loved that "other movie"....which was a waste of film...IMHO.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 03:11 AM UTC
This is from the trivia section of IMDB on Tora Tora Tora. "In the movie's opening scenes, Admiral Yamamoto meets his officers aboard a battleship. The ship was a full scale replica, complete from bow to stern, and had even a mock-up floatplane on a catapult. It was built on a beach in Japan, next to the replica of the aircraft-carrier "Akagi." The Akagi set consisted of about two-thirds of the deck and the island area."

On the carries here is what it says. "The USS Yorktown (CVS-10) was disguised as the Japanese carrier Kaga to film scenes of aircraft taking off and landing. It was fitted with a false bow to disguise the catapults, although steam can be seen leaking through in one shot. It was unofficially named "USS Kaga" for the duration of filming. The USS Enterprise seen entering Pearl harbour at the end of the movie is actually the USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31)."

I think the Japanese film crew did a much better job depicting their ships than the American crew did.

Here is the full page from IMDB on the movie trivia.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066473/trivia

I agree with you on "Pearl Harbor." What a waste of film. How many electrons gave their lives for the CAG on that turkey.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
I must be the only guy here that "liked" Pearl Harbor......about 15 mintes of it anyway. Thank God for DVD, I can click on the attack scenes and skip the rest of the malarky, much as I do with the Titanic. get rid of the chick-e-poo stuff and get on with the sinking
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I must be the only guy here that "liked" Pearl Harbor......about 15 mintes of it anyway. Thank God for DVD, I can click on the attack scenes and skip the rest of the malarky, much as I do with the Titanic. get rid of the chick-e-poo stuff and get on with the sinking

Even some of the attack sequence is pretty lame. Like how the attacking planes kept flying between the ships on battleship row, or the scene with the control tower and shooting down attacking aircraft.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC
I was given Perl Harbor for Xmas a few years back when it was first released. Saw it once, haven't seen it again. I can't even remember the attack scenes. Only Kate Beckinsdale gives it any hope whatsoever.
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 02:29 PM UTC
I liked both 'Pearl Harbor' and 'Tora, Tora, Tora'. I admit I could've done without the attatched love story, but at least I got to see 'P. H.' in the theater since when I told my girlfriend there was a love story in it, she didn't mind going.