_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Dio upgrading
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi guyz, here's another of my earlier so called 'completed' dio. It has been sitting in my display case for quite some time, and I tot of touching it up as I feel my skills has improved a bit since then. Anyway, a dio can never be 'completed'. There's always things to add and touch up. It's a dio of a russian counter attack with the Krauts pinned down. All the figures will have their faces touched up. Any comments?

Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
pic quite dark..give it some light...
btw i found a perfect base...
see i have this neighbour who juz had his renovation..he has a couple of wall-tiles (the small tiles) lying ard so i pick em up and made them my base..a bit disadvantage though...heavy la...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 03:10 AM UTC
It looks great. Very nice dio. It's abit dark to see the faces that you've touched up. But overall.. the dio looks great.

1st pic: What is the building made of?
2nd pic: The blood looks very real. That poor guy must be dying
3rd pic: The soldier jumping down from the tank! Cool
4th, 5th pics: NICE DIO!
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

pic quite dark..give it some light...
btw i found a perfect base...
see i have this neighbour who juz had his renovation..he has a couple of wall-tiles (the small tiles) lying ard so i pick em up and made them my base..a bit disadvantage though...heavy la...

I have this problem w/ photographing models..I purposely turned off the flash coz the pix w/ flash looks too bright and the model will look very artificial in photos..But then again, when I turned off the flash, my hands need to be very steady as the auto focus will also be off. Thus the bad looking photos..

As for your newfound bases, yes, the tiles can make nice dio bases..But as u said, it's a bit heavy...
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks great. Very nice dio. It's abit dark to see the faces that you've touched up. But overall.. the dio looks great.

1st pic: What is the building made of?
2nd pic: The blood looks very real. That poor guy must be dying
3rd pic: The soldier jumping down from the tank! Cool
4th, 5th pics: NICE DIO!

Thanx Ike, but I have not retouched the faces yet..Just planning to..last time, i was not that good at painting faces..Now better...

1) Building is made up of those styrafoam like cardboards found at stationery shops. The 'zinc roof' is made of cardboard box that that was split. If u notice, they have the 'zinc roof' look. Just spray flat aluminium.

2) Yup the guy is a goner..I paid very much attention to make blood in my dios look as real as possible..Adds to the drama...Notice the blood on the floor caused by dragging the body?

3) Superglue

4 & 5) Thanx!
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 02:47 PM UTC
You might want to use real sunlight for lighting. That is what i use for my pictures. I did have the same problems when i used flash. Read on the forum, it says put it outdoor
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You might want to use real sunlight for lighting. That is what i use for my pictures. I did have the same problems when i used flash. Read on the forum, it says put it outdoor

Yeah that might help but a bit troublesome lah...Some more, I don't like to do it outside becoz my nosey neighbours will come along and ask alot of questions and ask why still play with 'Toys'...Maybe I shd wait to take pictures in the afternoon when the sun comes directly into my living room. Thanx for the tip...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 06:43 PM UTC
Toys... :-) Even my mum says they're toys.. But she's fine with me playing with toys..
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 08:57 PM UTC
what toys?!! they are not toys..they are models...
big boys play wif models..not toys...
eh psyfool, how u get the botak trees? is it branches from real trees and bushes?
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

eh psyfool, how u get the botak trees? is it branches from real trees and bushes?

Yup..twigs, branch from real trees..Try looking for the type of plant usually planted around HDB blocks..The short one with red flowers, i tink..Their branches make good 'Botak' trees..Don't get fined for plucking government property though.... #:-)
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 10:23 PM UTC
i pick up frm the ground man...
heheh...don wanna get caught doing somthing i love...1/35 scale models...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 11:01 PM UTC
Haha.. Botak trees.. :-)
Hey Psyfool.. is there a roll of hay on the side of the tank? What's it used for.

Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Psyfool.. is there a roll of hay on the side of the tank? What's it used for.

Very observant Corp Ike!! it's not hay, supposed to be a tightly packed roll of branches. The russians just used these to cross tank ditches and trenches. They just dump the whole roll into the ditch/ trench to fill the 'gap' and simply cross over. More commonly, they used a roll of thicker timber. I read about this during my many hours of reading at Borders 'Military History' section during my free time.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 01:24 AM UTC
I see.. and in that Dio, it's made of?

Haha.. it's interesting sometimes to look closely at Dios. You get to learnt new tricks from the maker.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I see.. and in that Dio, it's made of?

Haha.. it's interesting sometimes to look closely at Dios. You get to learnt new tricks from the maker.

It's actually the small brush thingy that's made up of the broom-like material I bought from Spotlight. It's the stump of that thing that I use after using all the ends to make weeds. Don't waste, make full use of every part!
U're rite, different modellers got different styles and it's good to learn the different techniques..
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
Ah.. I see. The brush from spotlight. Oh.. one more thing, where did you get the drainage pipe? (the 2nd pic)
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah.. I see. The brush from spotlight. Oh.. one more thing, where did you get the drainage pipe? (the 2nd pic)

Drinking straw...Just spray chrome color..Here's another tip tat I like to share..Try to look out for this chrome plated spray (RJ brand), it's one of my fav model making stuff...It's much better than Tamiya spray and for the volume, much cheaper. It gives a very realistic metal look. Also use it for my bike and car models..If u don't want it to shine that much, then just rub w/ fingers and it will look like flat alumninium. Dries fast too. There's also a gold plated version, suitable for spraying bullets, ammos..But it's definitely harder to find than Pylox! :-) Usually found in high end DIY stores for about $9 bucks per can..
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hahaha... Pylox.! :-)
Sure can do.. RJ's the brand. I'll go around looking for it together with Pylox in mind.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 02:59 AM UTC
u really follow the books huh psyfool...hehe...
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 03:04 AM UTC
ike if u want cheap items like the brooms or spray cans, i found a place u can get it very cheap...listen up guys...
go to IMM..they hav this $2 shop, Daiso..some japanese shop...
every trip i go there sure to find items i can get to make a dio..recently juz bought 3 cans of spray for ground effect (green, grey & brown)...wooden base (U heard me alright, wooden base)..small brooms to make the tall lalang type of vegetation and lots more...

*ps. IMM is in jurong east
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 03:44 AM UTC
Yup Danial...

Daiso carries display cases too! those small ones..i use them to display my 1/72 models...2 bucks..its cheap...

But some stuff are expensive there....i mean, 2 dollars for cork? haha oh well...

Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 04:22 AM UTC
ya..but give credit to the shop for bringin in stuff which usually cost more than $2 to the price it is now...
that life man...u lose some, u win some...
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

*ps. IMM is in jurong east

Looks like I have to pass on that..Jurong East is way too far for me...Unless I happen to drop by for some reason...
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 04:45 AM UTC
dont worry man...IMM will always be there waiting for u...hehehe
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 01:22 PM UTC
Heh.. the journey cost to IMM would have killed me already. Thanks for sharing though.

Maybe Daiso can open a branch at the East for Psyfool and myself.. haha & all modellers living at this part of SIngapore
 _GOTOTOP