Discuss general weathering topics here.
Rust/Grime runs
baronjj
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC
Looking for some tips on how to create realistic rust and grime runs with both acrylic and oil paint. I see this on almost all AFV's and aircraft and as a great deal of realism to the model. Thanks!

Baronjj
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 03:48 PM UTC
Hey Joe I like to use only oils, there easier to work with, for me me a least. First I'll clear coat, you can use what ever clear coat your comfortable with. I like to use Future floor wax, it's acrylic based so the oils won't harm it.

Using just a pea-size drop of oil, dilute it down to where it just drips of your brush. Then using a small brush, add the wash into the areas need washing. Now I like to wait about 2 hours, then go back using a q-tip to clean up the access . Also to blend in the affect your looking for. If the oils start to dry and get harder to remove, I’ll dip the q-tip into the thinner then dab the q-tip on a cloth so as it’s not soaked. It also helps in the blending.

For a good rust color I like to use Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna, blend to the color that looks go to you. At first I was afraid to use oils, then someone suggested that I try it on a scrap model. One good thing is that you can wipe it off and practice again. It’s really not that hard. Once you get it down, you’ll never stop using this technique.

_GOTOTOP